AB Motion help

MATT116

I have a task of upgrading an old machine with a modern motion package. I worked with AB to come up with a BOM so I'm confident about the component selection. I'm just not sure about the programing part and proper instruction selection.
BOM:
PLC 1) 1769-L27ERM-QBFC1B
Motor 2) TLY-A230T-HJ62AN
Kinetix 350 2) 2097-V33PR3-LM

Application: I will cut an oval/elliptical hole of varying size based on operator selection in a pipe with a milling bit mounted on a carriage. The carriage only moves in X & Y axis with a total of 8" of travel(-4" to 4") on each axis where 1 rev of the motor equals 1/16" of axis movement. So in my program I have my 2 axis and they are part of a "Coordinate System" with my units set to 0.0625/1 (inches/revolution)which seems fine and makes sense to me. Now the part Im not 100% sure about is the move sequence see attached PDF. 0,0 is home which is the tangent of the pipe. I plan to run the moves 1 after another based on the .PC bit.
Also in the Motion Coordinate system user manual page 88 it says a "runtime fault occurs with an arc if the three points are co-linear" ok makes sense, then it goes on to say "two or more points are the same" so on the attached PDF Move 2 my Y axis is starting on 0 and finishing on 0. Will this be a problem? Do I need to have Y finish at say -0.125?
Am I going about this all wrong, can any of the moves be combined?
Heres a link to a youtube video of the actual machine with the existing parker hannifin system which has failed the relevant portion is from 0 to the 3min mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRzBO8jJcHE&feature=plcp
Thanks

You may want to lengthen Move 3 by a degree or two to ensure you don't leave a ridge at the tangent of the tool; I am thinking of the constants of position lock tolerances and potential for mechanical variability.

I've not done real motion since GML, so I can't help with your actual question.

Nice video and diagram.

Last edited:
Instead of asynchronously and independently MAMing the two axii, I am usually using a "camming" approach when encountering this type of application.
You might want to look into using the Motion Axis Position Cam (MAPC) RSL5K instruction applied to the two axii system.
The cam profile could be obtained using the Motion Calculate Cam Profile (MCCP)depending of your application's requirements.

Thanks I'll look into that. MY original instruction selection was based on talking with a motion guy at AB. Smoothness of the cut is not that important and I have finished tolerance of +/- 1/16".

Looks interesting Peter. I don't have to use AB's motion stuff but I do plan on using micrologix for the rest of the machine control but I'm interested your stuff if you'd like to PM some more info or suggested RMC product.
Thanks for you time