S5 928B Problem

isteak007

Dear All,

I bought an old S5 PLC from auction. Part no. 6ES5 928-3UB11
when i power it up. it's Stop led is blinking and basp led is on.
So i perform an overall reset and warm restart but it didn't solve the problem.
stop led is still blinking.

when i try to upload program from the PLC. The PLC is fully Blank.
but when i tried to download a sample program. It is showing Memory Full.
If i compress memory. the communication is lost.

What could be the problem?

The NEXT button shows an empty page?

I'm not familiar with PG2000, but I could suspect that you haven't reset the CPU properly.

Hold the reset switch down while you do stop-run-stop-run.
Then release the reset switch and do stop-run.

Kalle

The NEXT button shows an empty page?

I'm not familiar with PG2000, but I could suspect that you haven't reset the CPU properly.

Hold the reset switch down while you do stop-run-stop-run.
Then release the reset switch and do stop-run.

Kalle

Overall Reset was OK Though, i done it again but problem not solved
Though PLC is fully Blank. When i try to download it's showing Memory Full!

Note: No EEPROM

Yes CPU is inserted in a legal slot

Remove all cards from the rack apart from the CPU.
Carry out an overall reset and try a simple program - try two timers in OB1 to create a simple flash circuit. Try and load this to see what happens.

If still errors copy the I & B Stacks here.

Please also advise what Memory card is inserted in the CPU?

Last edited:
Remove all cards from the rack apart from the CPU.
Carry out an overall reset and try a simple program - try two timers in OB1 to create a simple flash circuit. Try and load this to see what happens.

If still errors copy the I & B Stacks here.

Please also advise what Memory card is inserted in the CPU?

Thanks for your reply moggie,

But the problem is i can't even download a single block to the PLC. it says Memory Full! and when i try to compress the memory, communication lost occurred.

S5 PLC is fully Blank,
No Memory card inserted in the CPU.

What do you see in the CPU INFO / MEMORY OVERVIEW? (Got no PG2000 here, so I'm guessing the menu texts ;). In the old Step5 I believe it was "AG INFO / SPAUS "(speicherausbau).)

And what do you see if you check the online block directory? Should be some OBs, don't remember if DB0 is normally listed.

Kalle

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply moggie,

But the problem is i can't even download a single block to the PLC. it says Memory Full! and when i try to compress the memory, communication lost occurred.

S5 PLC is fully Blank,
No Memory card inserted in the CPU.

I am sure Kalle will confirm BUT I believe the 928B requires a memory card for the user program????
The internal RAM is for DB's

I am sure Kalle will confirm BUT I believe the 928B requires a memory card for the user program????
The internal RAM is for DB's

Sorry, I can't remember and don't have the manual for the 3UB11. But here's a faximile from the 3UB21 manual. I interpret it as the RAM is built-in. But the online info from the CPU will tell how the memory is arranged.

EDIT:
Here's from another manual (6ES5998-0SH21) . Still not the same MLFB, but inicating you're right, Moggie.

"You require a user memory submodule (RAM or EPROM) for storage of your
program. You can store up to 64 x 210 bytes of code and data blocks here. For
data blocks, the CPU 928 additionally has an integrated DB RAM of
46 x 210 bytes."

Kalle

Last edited: