upgrading network to ethernet with 5/05 processor

alexbeaum

I upgraded mostly of my processors to 5/05. but I got 3 processor left that I still need my DH-485 to communicate with some optimizers. I wanna put my 5/04s on my ethernet network.. So I wanna buy 3; 1761 Net-Eni ser D .

I was wondering if the MSG block (RSlogix500) will be functional to communicate between a 5/05 and 5/04 under ethernet channel?

I made a simplified diagram of what I wanna do.. Does I understand right?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45365194/shema1.JPG

THX :site:

I don't recall how the Net-ENI handles MSG's but dont use the NET-ENI, it only has something like 4 concurrent connections, and has problems releasing them then locks up requiring a reboot. Digi makes a better unit from what I've heard with 64 connections.
http://www.digi.com/pdf/prd_ds_digioneiap.pdf I also don't know how the Digi passes MSG's but I know the NET-ENI has caused me trouble everytime I've run into it.

Yes, you can message to/from a SLC behind a Digi or Net-Eni. The NET-ENI should support up to six total connections, but max of four in either direction. Digi uses a single connection for all comms as far as I can tell. We use both. We like the Digi better.

In your diagram, you show a 5/04 connected to a DH485 device and an RS232 device. The 5/04 has one serial port and one DH+ port. It can use the DH485 protocol on the serial port, but not DF1 at the same time. So, to do what you want, the 5/04 should be a 5/03 unless the DH485 and optimizer are really on DH+?

Last edited:
My mistake.
The optimizer communicate with a DH+ protocol.. The processor is a 5/04..
So, DH+ protocol for my optimizer and Rs-232 for my DIGI/NET-ENI.
thx a lot.

and I think I'll go for the Net-Eni, find some good price on ebay. The digi are a more expensive and impossible to find used, To be honest my budget is pretty low..