How to temporarily disable scanning of a Devicenet node in Scanner

sanger

I recall from many years ago that there was a way to temporarily turn off scanning of a node on a Devicenet network.

We are using a 1747-SDN scanner and occasionally would like to disable some devices that are temporarily out of service and don't want the scanner card constantly flashing error messages. Deleting them from the scan list and re-creating them again later is a pain. I though there was a table in the M registers to disable devices on a node by node bases but I can not find it.

I think you can disable it using RSNetworks. Scan the network then remove the node from the scan list. There also might be a way to disable the node from the scan list. Once in RS NetWorks you should be able to figure it out.

You can disable entries in the Scanlist without actually deleting them; in RSNetworx you just un-check the 'Node Active' box for the Scanlist Entry.

This can be done using DeviceNet Explicit Messaging as well, but it's a little complex. I'd have to look over my notes on the Scanlist Object (I think it's Class 0x50).

I'm pretty sure the 1747-SDN never implemented Online Scanlist Changes at Runtime (OSCAR), so you would have to put the 1747-SDN into Idle Mode. I think it will still process explicit messages in Idle Mode.

If you're up for the effort, I can help with the research.

Hi!
I am in need of exactly this solution.
Does anyone know of a way to turn a Devicenet node on and off through the PLC software?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

This thread is now 11 years old. It was specific to the 1747-SDN scanner.

What is your PLC model and DeviceNet scanner ?

Why do you want to disable a node in the scanlist ?

Thank you very much!
The scanner I'm using is the 1769-SDN along with a CompactLogix.

My customer has a machine that has several replaceable pieces of equipment, one for each type of product.
Today it uses discrete signals through an Staubli connector. We are studying a way to use a DeviceNet interface embedded in each device so that we can increase the amount of I/O.

Thanks for the answer

To access this content you need to have a TechConnect Contract, I don't have one.
Can you make it available to me?

The TechConnect documents are protected by US copyrights and it would also be a violation of my contract with RA to reproduce and distribute them.

Contact your local RA distributor if you need technical assistance or access to documentation or software that you aren't eligible for via RA support contracts.