Laptop- Dell inspiron 600m vs up pavilion

Timeismoney08

Everybody,
I have a old Dell inspiron 600m laptop that was 1500$ new in 2002 with windows xp professional. Like half a gig of ram and 40gb harddrive.

Vs

My other laptop that's hp pavilion windows 7, 4 gb of ram 200gb hard drive, bought a year ago for 400$. With rs-232 serial connection

Maybe this is a dumb question but I want to know I my old Dell inspiron 600m would do the job.. I can upgrade the ram if needed. But if not I can use my hp. Would rather not.. Let me know y'all input?

If you can get 2GB into the D600, and do a fresh installation of XP with Service Pack 2, I'd say give the D600 a try.

A real serial port is a nice thing to have, and if you knock it off a ladder the economic loss is less.

Serial cards are "out there", but you have to find one that fits your computer. I had one for a PCMCIA slot, but it's slim pickings on newer express slots.

You can buy replacement Inspirons from Dell off-lease for about $200 bucks-ish. I'm talking D series with a real serial port. Laptops are available, but IT departments hate to buy "used" laptops.

Like Ken says, add memory! You can get by with 1gb RAM if you have to, but don't add anything besides ladder programming to the laptop. The used ones are available with XP, but are getting rare. They have Vista on most of them. If you have a copy of XP to install it's a great deal.

Here are the specs for both

Hp pavilion

VISION Technology by AMD
Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.
AMD Dual-Core A4-3305M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6480G discrete-class graphics
For enhanced operation.
4GB DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Create customized CDs and DVDs; also supports DVD-RAM.
15.6" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display
With BrightView technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
320GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

And the Dell

Pentium M 725 1.60GHz Processor, 2MB L2-Cache
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 AGP 4X video graphics at 32MB
14.1-in SXGA Monitor
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 4200RPM
512MB, 266MHz RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2
1-year limited warranty
Dell Wireless 1450 DualBand (802.11 a/b/g) internal Wireless card
Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network card
24X Combo DVD/CD-RW for Inspiron 600m
53 Watt-hour Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery

Sorry I was off on the specs a tad.

Will The 1.6ghz be enough on the Dell? I will upgrade the ram. I think the max is 2gb. And also I think the Dell has problem connecting with wifi. I'm not sure what's wrong.. Either can I get a USB wifi adapter or will I need to get that fixed.. It has Bluetooth connection.

I take back my recommendation; recycle that D600 or just use your newer computer.

The Pentium M in those D600 laptops was nice for battery power, but was a dog for speed. Getting a gigabyte of RAM and a fresh copy of XP Professional (XP Home won't run the RA software) is going to be more expensive in cash and time than a new computer.

I have no problem recycling the laptop if need be.. But it does already have windows xp professional service pack 2.. Or are you saying it needs a newer edition?

Oh I see why you thought it was home. Sorry I copied that from the net. I know it has been upgraded to professional but not what edition. Il check when I get home. If it's service pack 2. And I upgrade the ram to 2gb would it meet yalls requirements or am I still waisting my time?