Devicenet 1747-sdn sdn005 error

yasirkhi

Can somebody help me why I am having error? After downloading scanlist and ADR, scanner give this when it is doing "committing configuration. Scanlist downloading is OK.

SDN:0005","Address 00: Communication error: 11 :
After communications were established the device failed to respond to a request. Error code: 0xFFFF : 0xFFFF SCIA: 0x50, 0x0091, 0x0000, 0xFFFFFFFF"

Upload funtion perform without any problem. I don't have any device attached to network coz this is on seperate PLC.

Using Rsnetworx 10.01.00 (CPR 9 SR3)
Using 1770-KFD ver 1.04

I can change node and apply but it doesn't change the backplane slot number in rsnetworx. If I make it 4 and apply. Even I download the program scanlist is downloading but error come back sdn0005. And when perform upload in new file, it shows me slot 1 all the time, but scanlist are uploaded perfectly.
Is memory of devicenet gone bad?

I also left the same note in rockwell forum, but no one responsed.

Thanks

2.jpg Untitled.jpg

The "Slot Number" shown in RSNetworx for the scanner is only for reporting and display purposes in the software.

It is not read from the module, nor written to the module.

You must enter the correct value into this field manually. If you upload, the software will simply put the default value of 1 into that field.

The "Slot Number" issue is a distraction and doesn't have anything to do with the error message.

Forums will only take you so far in diagnosing a problem like this; the RA Forum and this Forum are not staffed by the Technical Support group at Rockwell Automation.

Is this a new 1747-SDN installation, or are you trying to modify an existing one ? Does the module otherwise function correctly as a DeviceNet scanner ?

This module was working good. I removed it to install other one, to have this as a backup. Installed it offline PLC at slot #4. And originally, it was placed in program at slot #8. Then mistakenly I switched to run mode.

Ken, I think it should download the slot number too.

This module was working good. I removed it to install other one, to have this as a backup. Installed it offline PLC at slot #4. And originally, it was placed in program at slot #8. Then mistakenly I switched to run mode.

Ken, I think it should download the slot number too.

If you don't have the slot number manually set correctly, and then use the automatic addressing tools, I think you will see the wrong slot number in the beginning of the displayed addresses.

Ken, or anyone, please correct me if I am wrong...but it doesn't matter anyway, the SLC already knows what slot it's in, and will address the blocks of data in the scanlist accordingly. As long they are in the same relative location, the scanlist should download.

The original error is likely related to putting the scanner in run mode, and is normal. You can prove it works on the real machine and quickly swap back to the working one if there are problems.

Be sure to kill power to both the SLC and the devicenet network when swapping devices. It is wise to power down all nodes as well or at least power cycle them after restarting the scanner.

A scanner can hold its configuration virtually indefinitely once programmed and sitting on the shelf. I have one pre-programmed scanner that goes up to 2 years between updates and the old config is still "in there" when I update it after the system changes.

Invariably when we edit the scanlist or mess with a particular PF700 drive network with a lot of devices, one of them ends up with an unreported comms loss or starts to have comms problems sometimes hours later until it's power cycled, so we take the pre-emptive strike and power them all down and back up as part of the change process when the scanner is involved.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken and OkiePC Always great help from you guys.

If you don't have the slot number manually set correctly, and then use the automatic addressing tools, I think you will see the wrong slot number in the beginning of the displayed addresses.
I tried this but still the same error.

Ken, or anyone, please correct me if I am wrong...but it doesn't matter anyway, the SLC already knows what slot it's in, and will address the blocks of data in the scanlist accordingly. As long they are in the same relative location, the scanlist should download.
I remember last time with good scanner it was keeping the slot information when you upload the file into a new file.

The original error is likely related to putting the scanner in run mode, and is normal. You can prove it works on the real machine and quickly swap back to the working one if there are problems.
I pressed F1 checked the error description saying to verify scanner status, should not be in run mode. When scanner is in idle mode it shows two number node + 80. Which is showing now.

Is it a possibility, despite no error showing, the scanner memory got damaged? I will be buying another scanner to try.