PowerFlex 755 Home input

cleeton

I've acquired a project with a Powerflex 755 drive using CIP motion. It has a safe torque off card and a universal feedback card. It is driving a generic induction motor with a SSI encoder on it. (I've only seen a RSLogix program file, haven't actually seen the equipment yet). It currently isn't configured to home properly and i've been trying to figure out how to set it up to home to a prox switch. My assumption is I need to wire the home prox switch directly to the universal feedback card. (currently all Digital IO is through Devicenet armorblock).
I've been looking at 750-IN001J-EN-P and it gives some wiring examples for the encoders but doesn't specifically address the home input.I see on page 183 TB2 has terminals -Hm, and +Hm. Do I just connect my control power common to -Hm, and the signal wire from my PNP prox to +Hm. Or do I need to wire the prox using a power source from the drive?
This prox is currently an input to the L62 via devicenet, and I'd like to keep it as an input to the PLC as well, I do have some local IO cards that I could move it to if I can parallel them with the drive Home input.

Thanks

I believe "Home" is defined within the RSL5K project Axis Configuration interface.
Most of the applications will use some sort of "input backup/flag" (limit switch, proximity switch), however, the "home position" and "homing sequence" have to be configured within the Motion Group/Axis configuration applet and it strictly relies on the encoder values.

Yes you are correct about how to configure it. But I don't see any way to associate a PLC input to the home switch in the configuration. So I thought I need to wire this input straight to the drive somehow.

That may be a good approach (as long as the controller doesn't introduce too much delay)
I don't think "Home Position" (page 101)is the right attribute, that seems to be of data type REAL. I'm not entirely clear on its use, but it appears to be a way to set the Absolute postition to a non-zero value when the homing sequence completes.

Using a Local Rack digital input point will return the state of the flag in microseconds or less; from there, if the PF755 is run as a CIP_Motion_Axis, the command will be delivered to the VFD's processor in microseconds also.
The point I was trying to make is that CIP Motion positioning is relying almost exclusively on the motor's positioning encoder values.
The proximity/limit switch will not be literally used within the motion configured "Homing Sequence".
When Homing is required, the user will initiate an "external" MAM which will target the physical flag; when the flag is detected, the SSV applied to the "Home Position" attribute will write the axis' position at the time of the flag's detection for example (page 101, Passive Home with Switch homing mode).

I think I understand what you are suggesting, kind of rolling your own MRP instruction. I think I'd like to use the MAH command because I believe it could be used to overcome both of the "home" related problems I may encounter. 1) the absolute position is off and the drive is unaware (mechanical slippage) or 2) the system has lost Absolute home and is aware (APR fault).

Well I talked with RA and my distributor, it seems that I should wire the switch to provide a potential difference across the +Hm and -Hm terminals on the Universal Feedback card. Otherwise if I lose absolute position I will only be able to execute incremental moves. My understanding is that placing the switch at one end of my travel will allow me to configure the Home properties to always "hunt" in the right direction.