FTSP or Not

trsptfire

Got my laptop loaded(Win 7 Enterprise 64bit)and WinXP Mode loaded now I need to load RS5000(Ver. 16 and 17), RS500(Ver. 8.20), and RSLinx(Ver. 2.50) on XP; so my question is as far as activation is concerned can I just load Factory Talk Activation to activate my software or the whole Factory Talk Services Platform has to be loaded. The reason for my concern is I found a Tech support notice on FTSP and WinXp Mode (#341918) that could lock up directory. Any help greatly appreciated!

One of my co-workers insisted on using XP Mode instead of VMWare on a maintenance laptop we sent with a machine to Japan because it saved the cost of VMWare and an additional XP license.

Two weeks ago I was sitting in Nagoya cursing his name because I ran into exactly those sorts of problems using XP Mode, where I couldn't log into FactoryTalk correctly because XP Mode uses Remote Desktop. Of course nobody knew the administrative password for XP Mode. It was all I could do to keep from heaving the damn thing over the seawall.

Save yourself the aggravation and use VMWare. While XP Mode users have sputtered and cursed and run to the Knowledgebase, I've been happily running VMWare Workstation 7 with all of my software safely cocooned inside.

There's no question in my mind that the time I've saved on software conflicts, OS patches, and re-installation is worth 10x what I spent on VMWare Workstation.

But to answer your actual question;

You'll probably never have to log into the FactoryTalk Services Platform, since you're not using any software that automatically logs into it (RSLogix 5000 v20) or requires functions other than Activation (FactoryTalk View Studio).

But you should install the whole thing anyhow. You don't want to fight any missing component problems.

I agree with what Ken said. I tinkered with XPMode for a while with activation and communication problems, then when I was about to give up and put in a request for an XP license to run VMWare, I figured out how to get my XPMode to work.

What I had to do was add two virtual LAN cards, one with shared networking (NAT), and the 2nd one with my actual hardware picked out.

I installed Factory Talk Activation Manger in the VM along with RSLinx and FTView Studio.

Now, it is able to "see" our activation server (another PC on our controls LAN) as well as browse to our real machines.

I also stumbled across a utility called xpmore which makes it possible to back up a working XPMode machine, although it didn't recreate my 2nd LAN adapter correctly, after manually setting it up in the copy, it worked for me.

Thanks for the replies

I got all up and running and working fairly good my IP on xpmode is DHCP and it assigned xp an 192.168 IP so I'm using ethernet driver instead of an ethernet/IP adding all of my addresses by hand. But the kicker is I stayed over this morning just to call RS Support to get my old Master Disk serials changed over to Factory talk and they told me no problem they'd email the Product keys, now I get up and there isn't an email and it's after 5:00pm so that means I've got to stay over again and get a hold of someone at RS again in the morning. Gotta love third shift!

Just VPN'd into one of our non essential control logix plc and was working fine untill the Activation notice knocked me off. Lovin technology it would be nice not to have drive 48 min to work to find out that the robot didn't go to tip change! lol

Last edited: