Dry Tonns

incorrect, that's the cal for mass flow. i would think it's 1.2 - 1 = 0.2 * 40 = 8 t/h dry tonnes , but apparently this isn't so?

Last edited:
40 Ć· 1.2 = 33.333. The difference between 40 and 33.333 would be your dry volume. I think that would be correct. The reason that 8 is wrong is because the way your math is you are now working with a total volume of 48, not 40. Think about it, there are five 2/10th in a whole number and if you are using 1.2, there are six 2/10th. I think that this is correct. I guess you could also divide 40 by 6.

Nevermind, I think I am all wet on this one...

Last edited:
with an sg of 1.2 kg/m^3 , 0.2 grams is off product so 0.2 * 40m^3/h(flow rate) = 8 t/h(dry product), that's what i would think is the correct answer, but i have a person that doesn't agree with me, so im merely looking for an alternative solution or a is this correct.

with an sg of 1.2 kg/m^3 , 0.2 grams is off product so 0.2 * 40m^3/h(flow rate) = 8 t/h(dry product), that's what i would think is the correct answer, but i have a person that doesn't agree with me, so im merely looking for an alternative solution or a is this correct.

I think that you mean
SG 1.2 Kg/m^3 => implies 0.2kg of dry product
Flow = 40m^3/hour
0.2 * 40 = 8 kg/h

but I think that you should be converting the SG into % Solids

OK Let me understand this, I'll assume metric tonnes.
You have 40 tons an hour of a wet product with an SG of 1.2
For every 1.2kg you have 1kg of water and 0.2kg of product,
The ratio is 1/6 and 5/6 or 16.66% and 83.33%
So each ton of wet product has 833.33 KG of water and 166.66 kg of product,

40 ton gives 40 X 166.66 kg gives 6.666 tons of product
and 40 X 833.33 of water gives 33.333 tons.

Or you could just transpose the formula and say (40-(40*(1/1.2)

Just like Kev77

I'm interested to know the figure that the person you disagree with has?

Chris

OK Let me understand this, I'll assume metric tonnes.
You have 40 tons an hour of a wet product with an SG of 1.2
For every 1.2kg you have 1kg of water and 0.2kg of product,
The ratio is 1/6 and 5/6 or 16.66% and 83.33%
So each ton of wet product has 833.33 KG of water and 166.66 kg of product,

40 ton gives 40 X 166.66 kg gives 6.666 tons of product
and 40 X 833.33 of water gives 33.333 tons.

Or you could just transpose the formula and say (40-(40*(1/1.2)

Just like Kev77

I'm interested to know the figure that the person you disagree with has?

Chris

OR I could realise that its not 40 tons an hour its 40cubic meters an hour.šŸ™ƒ

SO 40 X 1.2 gives total mass at 48ton
The rest is the same.

therefore 8 ton of product and 40 ton of water.

Perhaps the figure they had was the same as me,

Chris

A specific gravity of 1.2 only means that the total product (dry product combined with water) is 1.2 times heavier than water by itself. It doesn't mean that for every 1.2 kg the first 1.0 kg is water and the rest is dry product.

First, let's assume that you are talking about metric tonnes as was mentioned before. Then 1 cubic meter of water has a mass of 1 metric tonne. So let's say you have 1 cubic meter of a dry product that is 1.4 times heavier than water, i.e. sg = 1.4. It's mass would be 1.4 metric tonnes. If you combined that with 1 cubic meter of water (1.0 tonnes) you would have a mixture with a mass of 2.4 metric tonnes and a combined volume of 2 cubic meters. Total specific gravity then would be 1.2.

You are missing one key piece of information before you can answer your question. You either need the specific gravity of the dry product, or the percent by volume of water for the mixture.

Your equation for the dry tonnes/hr will depend on what other piece of information you are able to obtain.

yeah i understand that, thought he knew what other variables were missing and what would be a possible equation.

You are missing one key piece of information before you can answer your question. You either need the specific gravity of the dry product, or the percent by volume of water for the mixture.
Find one of these unknown variables, and then it will be possible to solve your problem. Someone at your company should have one or both. If you are already removing the water, then the SG of the dry product should already be known. Weigh a known volume of the dry product, and then divide by the equivalent weight of that same volume of water. Now you can use this SG-dry ratio to find the amount of water in the wet product. Subtract the water and you are left with the dry tons of product.

Last edited: