Change IP-adress of a compactlogix

tnollet

Hi everyone,

I have a compactlogix from which I need the IP-adress set by another person. It seems that DHCP is disabled because it doesn't send any requests if I use BOOTP. I know it should be possible to get the adress using a serial connection, but the problem is my computer only has an ethernet port. Any suggestions on how I could get the adress?

Thanks for the help,

Tom

USB to Serial adapter (I recommend Keyspan-USA-19HS), 1747-CP3 cable and RSLinx DF-1 driver.
Go Online with the CPU and Upload the application file; you should be able to find out the IP address of the Ethernet port from within the Controller Properties applet.

Last edited:
The 1747-CP3 and 1756-CP3 are electrically identical, but the 1756 version has a smaller 90 degree connector at the controller side to allow it to fit inside the shallower space between the connector and the front door.

Tom, the other method is to "sniff out" the IP address, generally by using Wireshark.

There are several threads about using Wireshark and the "ARP" filter to determine the IP address of an unknown controller that's connected to a local switch.

If you know the IP range (like 192.168.1.x) but not the actual address, tools like Angry IP Scanner or NMAP can automate the search.

In the meantime I managed to get the IP-adress, by setting the IP-adress of my ethernet port to 192.168.1.100. The controller then appeared in RSLinx showing what I need (192.168.1.20). Is it possible that new controllers of AB all have an IP-adress of the form 192.168.1.x?

If you know the IP range (like 192.168.1.x) but not the actual address, tools like Angry IP Scanner or NMAP can automate the search.
Just curious, but if you knew the IP range, wouldn't RSlinx already be able to automatically search and find the controller using the Ethernet/IP driver set to the network adapter you set to that same range?

I didn't know the IP range. I just tried the range from Ken Roach. My guess is it's a standard used for AB controllers.

I didn't know the IP range. I just tried the range from Ken Roach. My guess is it's a standard used for AB controllers.

I don't think AB controllers come with an IP address configured (at least, none of my ML1400s or 1100s have). 192.168.x.x is just a private IP range that seems to be used most often. And I didn't mean for you to just use RSLinx to auto find, I was just commenting on Ken Roach's suggestion of using some other software to find the actual IP address if you already knew the range.