RSlogix/VPN problems

Navin1980

Hello,

I have only been programming for about 5 months now so this is all kind of new to me. I need help figuring out why my RSlogix will not work when I connect to a VPN. I can ping all he devices on the network and can see them under Linx's but when I try to open a Logix program it does not open. If I disconnect from the VPN everything works fine. If I have Logix open and then connect to the VPN, Logix stops responding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank, Navin

Possibly, your ip address being sent is different when you have joined a VPN. Mine changes from a 10.x.x.x to a 172.x.x.x. Can you specifically see the controller in RsLinx and drill down ?

I've never tried it your way, but what I do is, after joining a VPN, I do a remote desktop connection to a Windows server computer and then go online with RsLogix.

You said when connected to the vpn logix won't "open a program? That should have zero to do with comms of any kind.

Logix should "open" a program anytime no mater how you are connected. If Logix won't open the program then you have issues with your logix install.

"open a program means you can see laders,routine and that kind of stuff on your screen.

If you can't connect to the plc when connected to the plc that is a different issue. Which is it?

If you see devics in linx when conneted to the vpn then you don't have vpn issues.

Make sure you can see nodes in linx when connected to vpn. Don't worry with logix if you don't have that. You must have linx conectivity before logix is any good.

From Navin's description, this malfunction sounds like a gift from FactoryTalk Activation.

FactoryTalk Activation uses TCP Port 27000 to communicate between applications and the FTA Activation Manager software, even if the two are on the same computer.

When the VPN engages, I'll bet it's redirecting Port 27000 to the remote network instead of the Localhost (the local computer). Or, it's engaging a firewall that is blocking Port 27000.

That might explain the "RSLogix won't open" but doesn't go as far explaining "RSLogix stops responding". I agree that the Operating System, the version of RSLogix (5, 500, 5000 ? Revision #?) and more details about the VPN software are necessary to troubleshoot this system.

Are the controllers you are connected to on your local side of the network, or on the remote side ?

As I type this, I'm online with a local CompactLogix while connected via Windows Server VPN to my office, so I know it's definitely possible.