Get PanelView Date in RSLogix 5000

paulfisk

I am very new to PLC programming (AB CompactLogix L2 Controller) and I am looking for a way to get the Day part of the current Date from an Ethernet connected PanelView Plus 700 inside RSLogix 5000.

I am currently using the PLC WallClock values for the Day but the end user is more likely to be able to update and manage the Clock time on the PanelView terminal rather than allowing them to tinker with the PLC clock. If I can do this then the Clock Time in the PLC becomes irrelevant and I won't have to worry about that.

Is there a way to grab the Date from the attached PanelView?

Paul Fisk

There is a feature called Global Connections in FactoryTalk View Studio that allows you to write the individual components of the PanelView's Time and Date to tags in the ControlLogix.

These are the first seven elements on the first tab in the Global Connections dialog. You can select how frequently they are sent from the PanelView to the controller (the default is 1 second).

I also use the Seconds value to perform a Watchdog feature; if the Seconds value stops changing for more than a few seconds (I use six seconds) I know that the PanelView has been disconnected or put into Configuration Mode.