OT: Luggage

The Plc Kid

I am begining to travel for work more frequently and my girlfriend thinks that I need to do something better than throw some clothes in my laptop bag and the rest in a paperbag and I think she has a point so I am looking to invest in a good set of luggage.

I have had a couple cheap luggage sets and they hold up for 1 or 2 trips on average after the airport people are finished with it and I want to buy a good roller / spinner set with various types and sizes of bags.

I did some looking on the samsonite site but they don't seem to have whole sets in roller type.

I just wanted to get some of you experienced travels to give me some brands that I should be looking at purchasing?

Who makes the best in your opinion? I texms of function and durability. Color wise I am simple so I will stay with the trusty black if possible.

Tips?

Last year I bought a Samsonite spinner, think a 25" or 27". Got it for $90 at TJ Maxx, just a single piece of luggage. I've put it through many trips this past year and I'm very happy with how it's keeping up. My last cheapo piece of luggage was broken by the airport baggage handlers, bent the extension handle and it won't not extend anymore. After a couple of trips with that bag, it looked beaten and broken. Stick with black, then at least it will always "look" the part even if it's really dirty and beat up.

So far the Samsonite has put up with the abuse, the spinner is great I think. It's small enough where I could carry it on, but I typically don't.

I would not worry about an entire set at this point, just get something that will hold 7 days of clothes, toiletries, sandals and go from there. When you aren't using your luggage, you have to find a home for it in your house or apartment....it's a hassle.

If someone else is footing the baggage fees (they're a tad heavy), consider a couple of Pelican brand cases. Damn durable, and watertight. They come in dozens of different sizes and configurations. I highly recommend the in-lid organizer.

-rpoet

Another avenue to investigate would be the flight crew. Granted they don't have to check their bags, but durability would still be a requirement for them.

TravelPro, it's what most airline crews use. Yes, it is expensive but it lasts. I have a 22" bag that's 10+ years old and still in good shape. My travel is right at or over 100k a year between flying and driving. This bag has been checked on over 50 flights this year alone. That is a ton of abuse.......

Back
Top Bottom