How do I configure a panelview + 6.1 to connect with an IPAD?

duncan8484

I am trying to connect a panelview + wirelessly to an IPAD. I know i need somekind of vnc on both ends, but not really sure how to get it or configure it....any help???

Will the iPad and Panelview Plus be on the same network? That makes things easier. There is a VNC client for the iPad called MochaVNC of which the lite version is free and should work fine for this application. Just download it, enable the VNC server on the PV+ and connect away.

Wait... a second NIC card on the back of the PanelView ?

I have never seen a secondary Ethernet module for the PanelView Plus.

What is the exact part number of this module ? Are you sure it's not a 2711P-RN6 (DH+/DH485) or 2711P-RN15S (ControlNet) ? I know the ControlNet cards have both ControlNet BNC connectors as well as a "Network Access Port" that uses an RJ45 socket and is easy to mistake for an Ethernet card.

The basics of enabling the VNC Server feature on the Windows CE desktop are described in the PanelView Plus 6 User Manual (publication 2711P-UM006). Start with allowing Desktop access, on page 50 of the User Manual.

Last edited:
I guess you learn something new every day!

2711P-RN0 shows up in an Internet search as an "empty comms chassis", then I found a PDF file from a tradeshow that describes a 6189V-PCIENET option card to provide a second NIC card for the PanelView Plus v6 terminal.

These isn't a common feature; until today I'd never heard of it.

If you plan to configure that card to connect to WiFi and then to an iPad using VNC, I'd say you configure it using the Windows CE desktop.

I'm afraid I can't help you much past there; you're into the sort of nonstandard configuration that RA's Technical Support group is going to know more about than I do.

I just went into the Control Panel for my PV+ 1500 (v6.10) and enabled the VNC Server using the little Control Panel -> "Services" dialog.

VNC is disabled by default, and when you enable it it's configured for "View Only" unless you change that in the Control Panel -> "Servers" dialog.

After that, I was able to go online with my Android phone using AndroidVNC.

I am only using the built-in Ethernet port on my terminal, which is then bridged into our wireless enterprise network using a Ubiquiti NanoStation 2.

This is the response from RA on this topic.

Your question -->

I have a panelview + 700 6.1. I want install a second nic, part number 2711p-rn0. What is the procedure for doing so? What, if any, settings need to be changed?

Michael,
I checked around with other engineers.
Apparently it is not yet released - in the product internal page - it is mentioned to use
6189-PCIENET with a 2711P-RN0 until it is released
I am not sure the availabilty of those older part numbers - please call your distributor for that information.

So in a nutshell - we are still awaiting release for the 2711P-RN20 which actually works right with the Panelview Plus 6
I attached some screen caps of what you will see when it is eventually released below the green text section.

The PanelView Plus 6 Ethernet module will provide access on a second network connection (ex. corporate network) for ViewPoint, VNC or Email connectivity. FactoryTalk ME 6.10 or later is required.
The native Ethernet port on the PanelView Plus 6 can be used for connection to the controller and control system network.
Bridging between Ethernet ports is not allowed.
An alternative is to use a 6189-PCIENET with a 2711P-RN0 until the 2711P-RN20 is AFC.

I'm not sure how much of that is the e-mail from RA, and how much is your own.

Where did you get the 2711P-RN0 PCI cage ? What kind of NIC card do you have installed in it ?

Was the second NIC card configured when you started to work on this 'VNC and iPad" option ?

Have you gone into the Windows CE desktop and done any configuration, or are you hoping that a Forum member can guide you through that step ?

What sort of WiFi access point are you using with this system ?