Does it matter where a profibus repeater is fitted?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are fitting a profibus repeater to a network and I wondered if it matters where it goes. Does it have to be at the farthest point of the network or anything? Or can it go anywhere?

Many thanks

;-)

Depending on the baudrate, the segments will have a maximum permissible length. The "best" would be to place the repeater right in the middle of an existing segment, halving the length on both sides. If that is not possible, then be sure that the repeater splits the segments in such a way that the segments on both sides are kept within the maximum length.

Does it have to be at the farthest point of the network
If it was at the farthest point, then the segment on the other side would be 0 meters. Are you sure you understand what the repeater does and how it works ?

Clicky <-- read it, it's nice

And no.
You can place it anywhere in the segment.
As long as you keep within the maximum lengths.

EDIT: Sniped by Jesper.... :D