Help with a 1336 Plus II drive error.....

JoseM

Could you a have a "Power Overload" error on a VFD drive that could be a result of a defective VFD? Or could it be a defective motor perhaps?

Our mechanics have check all mechanical aspects of the system and they said that there is no problem that can be found.

The error says that the "Drive rating of 150% for 1 minute has been exceeded".

That fault indicates that the drive is supplying current beyond its rating for too long a period of time. Does the motor run correctly until this fault occurs?

If yes, then monitor the current. If it is normal and below the drive continuous rating, then replace the drive. It is rare, but I have seen a drive or two over the years incorrectly measure its own output.

If no, then disconnect the motor leads from the VFD and use a megohmeter to check for short circuit to ground. Also check ohms phase to phase to ensure the motor circuit is complete and balanced. I like to do this at the drive to include all the wiring and any disconnects in hte circuit.

The fault just happen about five minutes ago and before it did the equipment was running. We reset it and the machine is back up running.

What would be the "Drive Continuous Rating", is this the FLA?

The other weird problem is that the machine doesn't want to start running. I can see the drive Hz ramp up and the machine starts to move but then on the VFD LCD you see the Hz dropping, the display says "DC Hold" and the machine stops.

The fault just happen about five minutes ago and before it did the equipment was running. We reset it and the machine is back up running.

I am not sure how its exactly labelled on the VFD, but there should be an output rating for continuous duty on the label.

The other weird problem is that the machine doesn't want to start running. I can see the drive Hz ramp up and the machine starts to move but then on the VFD LCD you see the Hz dropping, the display says "DC Hold" and the machine stops.

DC Hold, is a type of braking that would happen after a stop command is issued. The machine may be having problems getting up to speed, and may be automatically shutting down because of it.

Some older drives will try to ramp up into a stalled (mechanically bound) motor and exhibit similar symptoms. What does the drive current output show during this start up situation?

After ruling out mechanical issues, I would start with a megger test of the motor circuit. Prove that there are no measurable electrical faults in the whole circuit before moving on to other aspects of troubleshooting.

rootboy, we haven't un-link the motor from the machine and see if it runs but if there is no product going through the machine is runs correctly. As soon as product its introduce into the machine is when it has a hard time starting to run.

OkiePC, I'm going to check ohms and meg the motor to see what we found.

I forgot to mention that I measure the current during the machine ramp up and it was about 12 Amps.

No, it would be the maximum power that your drive is rated to produce all the time. If no where else, you can find it in the AB 1336 Plus II under the menu "Ratings", Drive read-only Parameters 170 Rated Amps and 171 Rated KW. See page 6-41 of the User Manual. Also check to see what motor this drive has been set up for under menu "Setup", (Manual Page 6-8) settable parameters 177 Motor Nameplate RPM, 178 Motor Nameplate Hertz, 190 Motor Nameplate Volts, and 191 Motor Nameplate Amps. If any of these Motor Nameplate settings do not match the motor, you will have problems. Also under "Setup", check the setting of Parameter 38 Overload Amps. The factory default is 115% of drive rating (max allowed). If this has been set less than 115%, it could cause a premature trip.

"Drive rating of 150% for 1 minute has been exceeded": For this fault message, check Parameter 64, "Troubleshooting" in the manual. It says to reduce the load on the motor to prevent this fault. I have seen old 1336s bump against the Current Limit setting, automatically reducing the speed to keep the motor current for a bad motor below the current limit. Eventually then the drive trips out on the Power Overload setting. The usual cause is a motor winding going bad, or a partial short at the motor connection box. The drive records various Fault parameters that you can look at to try and determine the real cause.

AB 1336 Plus II Power Overload Fault.jpg

Last edited:
I check the motor and could not find anything wrong with it. I end up replacing the 1336 Plus II with a Power Flex 70 and after setting it up it allow the machine to run with out any problem.