PowerFlex 70 and DeviceNet

tjntjntjn

I had to replace powerflex 70. It uses DeviceNet 20-Comm-D module to communicate with the network (DeviceNet network). The problem which I have is that the motor cannot start. The HMI shows an error "stop asserted" on the top when i pressed the start button.
Parameter 90 is set to "DPI port 5", parameters 360 and 361 are set to "not used".
Which parameter should I change?

What button are you talking about? The HIM Start button or the operational (PLC Input/HMI tag)Start pushbutton?
If SpeedRef Select is set to DPI Port 5 the drive will not listen to HIM generated commands; it will accept commands arriving via 20-COMM-D only!
If you are controlling the VFD exclusively over DeviceNet and since the "stock" PFs come with preselected hard wiring control options, you will have to set any unused DigInSel (Onboard Digital Inputs Selection) parameters (361 through 366) to "0" Not Used.

Last edited:
The start button I'm talking about is coming from the PLC and I want the VFD to be controlled over the DeviceNet. I have SpeedRef Select set to DPI port 5 and all parameters 361-366 set to "not used".

If the VFD's HIM is stating "Stopped" it means that the drive is Enabled and awaiting the Start signal.
Is RSNetworx for DeviceNet Online network functional?(Is the VFD "seen" by the software without any errors present?).
A newer revision firmware VFD might not be functional without an update of the Scanlist; the.eds file of the new device will have to be registered on the machine running RSNetworx and the new configuration will have to be downloaded to the Scanner.

Yes, the network is functional. I downloaded EDS file for the VFD and registered the VFD on the machine running RSNetworx. The VFD is stating "stopped", green light is flashing what like you said means the drive is awaiting for start signal, but when the start signal comes (I push start button) the VFD goes to "stopped asserted" fault.

Stop asserted is not a fault, just a condition. It sounds like your start button is not correctly mapped to the right spot(s) in the devicenet map for the drive.

Did this drive work properly before it failed and was replaced?
Does the old drive power up, and do you think you might be able to use a HIM with the old drive to copy all of its parameters?

There are a couple of useful parameters you can also check. The first is Start Inhibits. It should be parameter 214 if I remember correctly. The second that may be useful is Last Stop Source which is parameter 215. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction. Like Okie said, the start may not be mapped correctly or the enable jumper is removed etc...

I'm not at work right now but if I remember correctly parameter 214 shows that DPI port 5 is true. Parameter 215, Last Stop Source shows Digital Input 1 which means HMI (I'm able to start and stop VFD-motor using HMI).
I'm not able now to check if the enable jumber is removed.

Don't know if you resolved your problem yet, but just to clarify...

If a Powerflex drive displays "Not Enabled", it means that drive has a hardwired issue that will prevent it from running. Most typically, this means that one of the 6 inputs is set as the "Enable" input and that input is currently false.

If a Powerflex drive displays "Stopped", it means that the drive is not running, but there is nothing actively keeping it from running. If the drive receives a brief "Start" command, it will run.

If a Powerflex drive displays "Stopped Asserted", it means that the drive is not running AND MORE IMPORTANTLY that the drive is still receiving a "Stop" command. In the old hardwired days, this would be the equivalent of some one holding in the stop button.

So, if your drive displays "Stopped" and then changes to "Stop Asserted" when you press your start button, it tells me that your start button is somehow causing a "Stop" command to be issued to the drive. I assume that your start button is wired into a PLC and the PLC sends the command signals to the drive??? If the PLC is communicating to the drive over deviceNet and this only changed when you installed the new drive, I would suspect that the DeviceNet mapping was somehow changed.

Last edited: