Remote access

dcurtis

What would be recommended for remote access to allow viewing of the panelwiew and the ladder on our machines in other states? We tried Zenwalt, and phone modems both not so good. We have all AB components (Compact logix and 10" touch screens) Maybe cell phone technology?
Thanks for any ideas!

What is your network options? Can the job site provide private IP address? Then you can use VNC type of software to remotelly log to PC which has RSLogix connection or perhaps directly to PLC (I did not tried this yet). As far as panelview, do you need to see run time screens? or development? For run time you may use PanelView Viewpoint feature.

Some job sites will allow us to use their network, most will not. We had Webport running well but not reliable (communicates through Denmark I think).
I think only remote view of the panel screen would be fine, but program-ability would be best, for both HMI and PLC. Then we can avoid sending people hundreds of miles to find out its a programmer issue.

For places where they won't give you network access I use these http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/machine-to-machine-routers/cor-ibr600-3G-4G-router the 4G units are fast and work on multiple cellular networks. This can also be arouter for a cable or DSL connection. There are madels with and without wifi if you need.

The cradle point has a good vpn but if you want better security add this http://www.tofinosecurity.com/products/overview great firewall and strong VPN. The firewall is made specific for industrial protocols.

Here is the Hirschman flavor of the tofino http://www.belden.com/docs/upload/NP310.pdf same box and software just different colors and a different brand sticker on it if that matters to you.

I have even used tofinos to be a in panel router between systems on different subnets that could not be changed due to warranty, support,etc.

I like the cradlepoint units they are real solid.

If you want to view the live screen of a panelview it's best to use the built in VNC function. This is only on the panelview plus CE up to the 5.x series in the PV plus 6 it's just a different part number that comes with VNC and all the file viewers i think.

You could change the existing internal flash card out on existing installs if you need to give them this ability.

Look here http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf on pdf page 25 and 26. The logic module will use either of the internal compact flash cards so if you had a 64 MB unit and wanted 128 mb you just change the internal card. The same holds true if you had a 128 MB standard card and you inserted the same size or large card with the CE extended software which gives you VNC it will work.

It appears this won't work for PV plus 6 as I don't see a listing for the internal flash card. This makes me thinks it is not removable.

Thats one thing I do like about the PV plus/6 series is that you screen can be replaced seperate from you smarts and the other way around.

Here in the jungle we replace screens a lot and bubba can do it because of the way they are designed. if the smarts go they have to call jethro as I taught him hoe to swap the compact flash and in a real pinch use the transfer tool.

I know the card can be changed on our panels but not sure if they are /6 versions. I have to get with the higher ups to see what the customer offers in regards to in-plant access. Maybe we have to go with a standalone version. Thanks again for the responses.

Remote solutions

Hi there,
You may want to check out the company Secomea. They have specialized in remote access to PLC, HMI etc. No need of static IP addresses or anything else. You only need an internet connection, and the box takes care of the rest. Very easy to use.