New to PLC - Where to Start?

plcplcplc

Hello Everyone,

I have spent a reasonable amount of time browsing these forums, however I wanted more direct answers to my questions.

I have no background in PLC, but I wish to learn as much as I can. I went to school for Mechanical Engineering and took a few classes on controls. The classes I took used MATLAB and Simulink (block diagrams).

These are my questions:

1) What resources are the best places to start? I bookmarked several websites that give a general introduction to PLC.
http://engineeronadisk.com/V2/book_PLC/engineeronadisk.html
http://www.plcdev.com/
http://www.mikroe.com/old/books/plcbook/plcbook.htm
http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml

2) Which books are helpful/necessary (if any)? Are the PLCS.net store resources up to date?

3) Is it worth going back to school to learn about PLCs? If so, which programs give the best value?

4) How can I become marketable to employers who need PLC programmers/engineers? What skill sets do I need to develop?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Alex

Welcome to the forum.

when i went to school, my classmates wanted to know why i took mechanical courses and other subjects. i told them that industry was wanting an electrical engr who had mechanical knowledge, could do wiring, wasn't afraid to get dirty helping the mechanics install a line.

i got laughed at, alot.
28 years later, their not laughing.

i still think along that line, mechanical engineers as well can fit in.

in my opinion, here is what you can do.
as was already suggested, go to vocational school.
i would start with industrial maintenance, industrial wiring.
then pick up the plc progamming. then go into the desigh part of it. doing it this way, you will start to put parts of the puzzle together.

when i graduated from the university, i went into industrial maintenance for several years. i then went to work for an oem as an electrician and worked my way up. panel design, panel builder, electrical design, mechanical design, plc programmer, writing system proposals, system installations, project manager, computer repair, scheduling.

while i do not know all the ins and outs of the mechanical engineering side of things, the classes i took and my experience have paid off. you learn to look at everything as a whole, not just one part of the pie. you learn to see problems mechanically that might be a problem to deal with in the plc program. the same will be true in your case.

hope my opinion doesn't discourage you.
regards,
james

Stick with learning Allen Bradley Products. It will pay to stick with AB. No offense to anyone else. I just see a lot more of that in the field.

There are plenty of us who made our way into the controls field from mechanical engineering. I started out as a mechanical design engineer with an OEM but I soon realized I enjoyed the controls more. The mechanical background is especially helpful if you need to do anything with motion control.

The PLC is just one of many tools in a control system. You can't focus all your efforts on programming. You also need to be familiar with sensors of all types, motors and drives, pneumatic and hydraulic solenoid valves, pumps, and anything else in the control system.

You'll be the last person to leave the commissioning of a new production line, so you'd better be able to handle when the machine throws a timing belt or a coupling comes loose.

Hi
You can use Thelearningpit.com and download the simulator Logixpro. This gives you a chance to practice programing.
All the company's I have worked for use all different types of PLC's but the most popular ones being installed seem to be Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi and Siemens. I believe these are the best ones for you to try and gain experience on.
Hope this helps

Jon

Welcome to the forum.

when i went to school, my classmates wanted to know why i took mechanical courses and other subjects. i told them that industry was wanting an electrical engr who had mechanical knowledge, could do wiring, wasn't afraid to get dirty helping the mechanics install a line.

in my opinion, here is what you can do.
as was already suggested, go to vocational school.
i would start with industrial maintenance, industrial wiring.
then pick up the plc progamming. then go into the desigh part of it. doing it this way, you will start to put parts of the puzzle together.

when i graduated from the university, i went into industrial maintenance for several years. i then went to work for an oem as an electrician and worked my way up. panel design, panel builder, electrical design, mechanical design, plc programmer, writing system proposals, system installations, project manager, computer repair, scheduling.

james

I have to agree with James, almost no one wants just a programmer. Instead they want a controls engineering technician, someone who has experience with hydraulic valves, solenoids, can wire switches, draft in Auto Cad - Mechanical/Electrical, someone who can wire panels, switches and devices. In short an Industrial Electrician, Automation Programmer, Hydraulics Mechanic and Industrial Motor and Motor Controls Technician who can design, purchase and install systems.

I study almost everyday, with Logixpro, and my own AB ML1000 with the programs I use at work. I personally purchased several sets of learning materials over the last couple of years some were good and some weren't so good. I suggest you buy a processor of your own (ebay.com) and go to Koldwater.com buy their PLC training software and begin practicing asap. (it includes www.thelearningpit.com software and material)

Also find a job that gives you lots of opportunities to learn additional hands on skills - mechanical (gears, conveyors, welding, torching etc) electrical (wiring 3 phase motors, VFD's, relays, timers, push buttons etc) and in my opinion most certainly get your bachelors degree as that will give you the most options especially when combined with a few years of solid hands on skills.

I must admit I asked a similar question regarding going back to school or not and am glad I am back in school.

Any thoughts?