Siemens TP177a HMI

dylanbatt

Hi,

I have a TP177A HMI screen, i managed to find the project files but i want to make some mods and the project is WINCC 2005 but i only have 2008

will i be able to make the mods and upload using 2008, i understand this will probably will need to update the firmware or OS will this work as i don't want to brick the screen as this is a key plant and i don't have a spare?

any guidance would be greatly appreciated

thanks

It has been a while since I used one a TP177A.

But I think it should work, as long as you do have the proper files to edit.

I always create a backup of the files before opening with new software (even with Flexible creating a backup when it converts it to say 2008)

When you goto open the file with 2008, it will tell you that you are opening with a newer version and ask you if you would like convert it to the newer version. Clicking yes will create a backup of the old file and create a new file converted to 2008. Then yes when you goto download it will tell you the OS doesn't match the software and you will have to update it. Then you should be able to download.

But it should work, but never hurts to have a backup. I'm sure they are discontinued so you Siemens distributor will probably charge an arm and an leg, but I would recommend getting a spare, or a newer model HMI and work on migrating it to a current model.

Another option is to use a virtual machine or another PC and install Flexible 2005 on it and use the 2008 license key (I believe this will work). I wasn't sure if you just didn't have the software, or didn't have it installed.

Long story short, I have done many OS updates since using WinCC Flexible 2004 -> 2005 -> 2007 -> 2008, and have never had one brick while updating.

Good luck.

Many thanks for your response, im going to have a look at this next week and will let you know how it turns out

again thanks

Agree with joltron that you should get a spare panel in any case.
However, it does not necessarily have to be another TP170A.
You can relatively easily convert to a similar touch panel. Just try it out in WinCC Flexible.

Great news guys,

Did the upgrade and all successful, i made a backup first using prosave then did the upgrade OS and install HMI program

I have also tried a restore to old backup downgrade OS and this works too

many thanks guys for the information