micro 1500 devicenet

neutech

Has anyone used devicenet on a micrologix 1500?
I am trying to get the communications to the processor through the SDN devicenet card with no luck. I tried to use the example but it just doesn't make sense
Anyone have any luck?

Has anyone used devicenet on a micrologix 1500?
I am trying to get the communications to the processor through the SDN devicenet card with no luck. I tried to use the example but it just doesn't make sense
Anyone have any luck?

Your going to have to give us more information.

What is your Hardware Configuration, Part Numbers and Revision Levels?

What example are you talking about?

When you say Communications with the Processor, I presume you are talking about Communications with the DeviceNet I/O?

Post your PLC Program if you can (Zip it first).

Stu.....

The RSNetworx for DeviceNet scanlist editor is the principal way to tell the Scanner where to put I/O data in the MicroLogix 1500 controller data table.

I see in some other posts where you say you've configured the 1769-SDN Scanlist but that you're not seeing the data you expect.

The two most common things I see new users overlook are the I/O size for the 1769-SDN and the Run bit.

The module defaults to just the diagnostic and control words when you put it into the MicroLogix I/O configuration in RSLogix 500. Off the top of my head that's 66 input words and 1 output word. You need to expand that I/O definition so that it allows for the actual size of the mapped I/O table; if you are using 32 words Input and 16 words Output, then add 32 and 16 to the I/O sizes.

The Run bit is Bit 0 of Word 0 of the Output image for the 1769-SDN. When the scanner is in Idle mode (Bit 0 = 0) it will flash "80" on the module display. Set Word 0, Bit 0 = 1 and the module will enter RUN mode and begin to apply output data to the network connections.

If you can ZIP and post the *.RSS program for the MicroLogix and the *.DNT file for the DeviceNet, I'm sure Forum members can point you to the right places in a hurry.

thanks for your reply
I have a ML1500 1764-LRP
rev F
FRN 12
ser C
slot 1 1769SDN scaner
On the network I only have compact I/O
The example I am refering to is on publication 1762-DU001B-EN-P
micrologix 1200 and 1500 programable controllers
thanks for your help
Paul
ps the scanner is displaying 00
the node address

As far as I can tell, that publication number is an obsolete firmware release note for MicroLogix 1200 controllers.

Because the module isn't flashing "80", it is probably in RUN mode.

That leaves the I/O size issue. Check the I/O size for the 1769-SDN in RSLogix 500 and report back (or post the *.RSS file).

Well, that illustrates that you don't have the I/O sizes at the default, and that there's no Input data in the Input data table.

Please ZIP and post the *.DNT file from RSNetworx for DeviceNet, so we can get an idea of what Input data you expect to have in the Input Data Table.

You don't have to perform MSG instructions or do anything fancy: just configure and download the Scanlist to the 1769-SDN, and the data you've mapped to the Input Data Table and the Output Data table will be exchanged between the MicroLogix and the network devices when you place the 1769-SDN in RUN mode.

Please remember also that you must place the MicroLogix (or at least the RUN bit) into Program Mode (or RUN = 0) in order to download a Scanlist to the 1769-SDN.

Last edited:
thanks
I have it almost 100% now. Don't know why it didn't work in the 1st place
Only problem I have is with an expansion module on the compact I/O
I am adding a 16 point expansion to a 16 point input module
by itself works OK but when I add the expansion it doesn't work
I can't any mistakes with the configuration so I guess I am missing something
file attached
thanks
Paul

One thing I like to do to keep my data easy to recognize is use Word-Alignment in the SLC/MicroLogix scanners.

In the Input or the Output tab for the 1769-SDN Scanner, click "Options", then select "Word Align".

Unmap, then Auto-Map all your data. You'll see that each device map starts at the beginning of a new 16-bit word, even if the data from that device is only 1 byte long.

This tends to bit "Bit 0" of the device data at "Bit 0" of the SLC/MicroLogix data table, which I find easier to keep track of.