I would like opinions on a textbook called Programmable Logic controllers

kapooski2012

I'm looking at a online textbook called Programmable Logic controllers by Frank D.Petruzella. I would like some opinions on this book. I know I can look at it for free or buy a hardcopy!
From what I can see, it seems to provide quite a few examples and explanations and it covers mostly Allen-Bradley.I known I read some reviews that consider the book as a comic book!
So what do you think, being a beginner, would you get it? I have mentioned before that I'm "hands on" kinda person, I've printed many webpages and examples of PLC programs to look at the programming and how it was done and "whishing to know what it means having that instruction here or there" anyways I digress...again! So, let me know what you think!

I had it as a course book for a community college PLC course 5-6 years ago. It was entirely satisfactory as a 1st level text book.

I have used it for teaching a PLC course. It is as good as any textbook, gets updated periodically (make sure you get the latest edition - 4th), and still has some examples from older PLCs such as the PLC5 that you may need to know at some point. There is an "Activities Manual for Programmable Logic Controllers" by the same author and publisher (McGraw-Hill) that has many more programming assignments for each chapter in the textbook.

Link to McGraw-Hill online catalog:
http://catalogs.mhhe.com/mhhe/viewProductDetails.do?isbn=0073510882

Last edited:
Great, based on what I've seen at http://www.scribd.com, regarding the book, the explanations, the graphics and in addition to the opinion of the members that offered it , I chose to get it. I also chose to get the Activities Manual for Programmable Logic Controllers (which came recommended) that accompanies the textbook . Of course I might have (plenty) questions as I go through the exercises, even though some of the bad reviews that were given about this book was because of no answer key. That is something I will have to contend with even though I am not enrolled in any program and learning on my own, but I do have the help and guidance of this forum, that’s a lot of teachers….who can ask for more! So, who gets the apple?

I would love to have seen some of his book, I could not find any place were some of the pages are displayed so I could "thumb" through it like I did with the one I just bought. Maybe there is someone out there that wants to get rid of their copy. Or did I miss the whole thing...I am thinking about the guy that should get apple is the guy that came up with the forum?