How do I set constants in an AOI?

PLC_Shaggy

I'm trying to create an AOI to simplify my life on some code that we reuse frequently. But so far it hasn't been just a mess.

I have a timer and a string that I would like to remain constant, or the same every time the AOI is used. But once it creates the function online it clears out my PRE in the timer and my string. Both are set as Local Parameters. I want to keep these internal to prevent them from being changed on the floor and to reduce the number of parameters being used in the AOI.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can set a default value for the AOI's local tags. Click the local tab and enter a value in the default column. This is the value given to the local tag when a tag of the AOI type is created.

Thanks TConnolly.

I went back and tried again. If I created a new instance of my AOI it worked as you said.

My problem was adding logic to an existing AOI. When I added the Timer and String it used the existing data table and left the new items as null.

Hi

I often have a move or cop at the top of the Aoi and just hard code the values in so they cannot be changed but can be seen

Donnchadh

^ I'm with Don, it also makes it easier to trouble shoot and every scan the move will go off and keep your constant forever constant (or at least every scan it will change back).

Note under the 'Scan Modes' tab in the AOI definition you have the opportunity to define other logic. The 'Prescan' may be a place to put 1 time initializations without taking up scan time during the normal scans of the AOI.