Processor Password

Tim Ganz

My boss wants to protect several slc 5/04and 5/05 plcs. He wants people to be able to open the program file offline and view the ladder logic but don't want them to be able to go online with the plc without a password. Only password I can find locks the offline file also.

Is there another way to do this?

How about being able to go Online without any editing rights?
Turn the CPU key to the RUN position and secure the key.

1) Trust your people or get some you can trust.
2) Put the key switches in RUN mode and remove the keys. This disables online editing. It won't prevent adjusting presets and changing data table values.
2a) Add data file protection to the critical files you want to be unchangeable:
Constant protection disables any changes to the data file, and Static protection makes it so that changes are disabled from a comm channel, but values can still be changed via ladder logic.

Maybe you could make two similar files. One named Offline (without the password) and another named Online (with it password protected).

I agree with Okie trust your people or pray theh leave and you find some you can trust.

check into RSLadder ... in fact you might even already have a copy - since it used to be bundled on the same CD with RSLinx ...

if I remember correctly, it lets you LOOK AT the logic (online or offline) but won't let you change anything ...

DISCLAIMER: I've never actually worked with this package - since I always need the capability of making edits - but I *THINK* that it's probably along the lines of what you're asking for ...

let us know if it works for you ...

Last edited: