SLC 5/05 upgrade options

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a SLC 5/05 16K based system that has been in use for about 10 years at our facility. We have 3 remote Flex I/O racks connected via RIO to a 1747-SN scanner in the main chassis. Over the years we had added a number of I/O to the system. We have (2)8-point analog and (1)16-point analog in the local chassis along with a total of 48 discrete inputs and 24 discrete outputs. In the Flex I/O racks we have about 60 analog along with about 128 discrete I/O. We would like to upgrade the SLC to either CompactLogix or even ControlLogix. Our local AB rep mentioned that one option would be to install a ControlLogix chassis and a comm module in the existing SLC chassis that would allow us to use the existing SLC I/O modules. Anyone here done this? We had planned to just replace all the hardware in the local racks with Control or Compact Logix. Obviously replacing the local I/O would mean more down time but if this would be better for the long term we can still do this. Any advice?

If you've got the budget allocated and the down time planned (sounds like what you are planning on) then put in a ControlLogix. The CompactLogix is cheaper but the ControlLogix offers you more options and is easy to network and add remote IO. Since you have a lot of analog the 1756 analog cards offer on card scaling and alarming.

Given your I/O counts, I would also lean towards the ControlLogix. Also, while it's possible to use the existing SLC I/O with a comm module, I think it's cleaner to just replace it with 1756 stuff. If you do decide to use the SLC I/O, be sure to DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. We have a system that was converted a while ago (long before my time here) from a PLC5 to ControlLogix, using the old 1771 I/O over RIO. It is a NIGHTMARE to troubleshoot because the documentation wasn't thoroughly and clearly updated.

You can use the existing Flex I/O over Ethernet, which is VERY easy and straight forward in the 1756 world.

Upgrade update

I wanted to seek some additional advice related to this upgrade. We have gotten quotes for doing this with either CompactLogix or ControlLogix. One issue that came up related to networking is that with our current system we obviously have a separate control network with the RIO and we use ethernet for monitoring and programming. We would like to maintain this separate network when we switch over to all ethernet. With ControlLogix I can see how this would be done, you just have 2 ethernet modules, but what about Compact Logix?

I just threw something together real quick in their IAB. It looks like if you use the CompactLogix 1768-L43 or -L45 processor, you can use 2 1768-ENBT modules to have isolated networks.

Is the IAB still available for download? For the life of me I can't seem to find it. I see Integrated Architecture Tools on the web site but not the old IAB.

Never mind. I found it.

Last edited:
The L4x series of the CompactLogix allows you to have 2 network cards. Sadly, none of the other CompactLogix have this option. I belive its solely so AB can get that extra $8,000+ for small systems that doesn't have alot of I/O but needs two networks.

The L4x series of the CompactLogix allows you to have 2 network cards. Sadly, none of the other CompactLogix have this option. I belive its solely so AB can get that extra $8,000+ for small systems that doesn't have alot of I/O but needs two networks.

That's interesting. My AB supplier had quoted a 1769-L33ER. I emailed him about wanting 2 networks but haven't gotten a response yet. If it's going to add that much to the cost I may just go with ControlLogix.

I'm not familar with the new 1769 controllers yet, but because it's based on the 1769 back plane I bet you can't add Ethernet modules for a second network.

If you need two networks, one for IO and one for SCADA/"Other" then the 1768-L43 would probably fit your bill as you can get the added Ethernet cards.

I don't see why you would require ControlLogix if you are just replacing a SLC 5/05 system...seems overkill. I think replacing the IO with 1756 equivalents is overkill as well. A CompactLogix processor with local 1769 IO with the existing flex (converted to Ethernet) would fit the bill just fine. Granted if you have grander plans for the system that's another story.

Are you just going to convert the SLC program to work with the Logix controller? Or are you re-writing it? I would suggest re-writing if you are already going through all the trouble.

There is no Ethernet module to add to an L33ER in Logix5000. The L43 works with the 1768-ENBT module and lists for about $700 more than the L33ER. The ENBT module lists for about $1100, so you're looking at spending about $1800 to add a second network connection to your PLC.

That's interesting. My AB supplier had quoted a 1769-L33ER. I emailed him about wanting 2 networks but haven't gotten a response yet. If it's going to add that much to the cost I may just go with ControlLogix.

The price difference between the L33 and the L43 won't be that large for your system and would defiantly be a good alternative to a Controllogix. The issue I normally have is i have a small machine where an 1769-L23E-QBFC1B with fixed I/O and maybe 1 extra I/O card is all i need, but to do 2 seperate networks I have to buy a L43, a powersupply, individual digital input and outputs, Analog Cards, HSC card, etc. which really runs the price up.

Thanks for all the advice. I think we will go with the L43 and the additional ENBT module. Any of you guys have any experience with the 1747-AENTR? I think it is a relatively new module. This would allow me to use my existing 1746 I/O and basically converts the local racks to remote I/O.

Hi rta53

I have used the 1747-AENTR and I had no problems with it and I found it very easy to use. My slc rack was a 13 slot with all digital I/o and I used a l43 processor and ver 20 of logix. The only thing I would do different is use ver 20.01 as 20 has a few problems.

Donnchadh

Last edited:
I haven't used the 1747-AENTR but have looked at it. Looks fairly simple for digital I/O, not so much for some of the more advanced cards. If you want to get an idea of how it sets up, create a new program in RSLogix 5000 V20 and add the card to the Ethernet/IP tree. You can then at least get a idea of how the tags lay out in the software and whatnot.

Personally, unless it was just impossible to get the downtime, I would just rewire and use local I/O.