slc 5/03 - help-me

Poor grounding and failing power supplies are often a cause of this. A hardware problem with a card in the chassis can sometimes be the root cause too.

I've had this problem twice before. It ended up being a bad chassis. There were not real indications that anything was wrong with the chassis. In both cases one corner of the power supply was also discolored from heat but replacing the power supply did not solve the problem.

Hello;

I have a SLC 5/03 that is losing the program. I replace a battery with a new but the problem continues.

Help-me!!

the PLC lose the program after shutdown power supply

Welcome to the Forum!

There are other reasons that a SLC PLC can lose its memory.

Power Supply issues, bad Grounding, Inductive Loads etc.

A search here will find many threads on the subject.

Have you made any changes to the PLC Rack recently?

Give us a description of the exact Rack, PLC, Power Supply, and I/O Cards currently in the Rack.

Stu....

Does your Allen Bradley SLC 5/03 have a EPROM memory module installed? If so, the EPROM could be loading a saved blank program on power-up (a standard setting for EPROM recovery after a power failure).

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

There are other reasons that a SLC PLC can lose its memory.

Power Supply issues, bad Grounding, Inductive Loads etc.

A search here will find many threads on the subject.

Have you made any changes to the PLC Rack recently?

Give us a description of the exact Rack, PLC, Power Supply, and I/O Cards currently in the Rack.

Stu....

hello,

thank you for help-me. the PLC rack is old. the power supply is with 24vcc. i/O is ok. i've check ground in rack.

I had that problem at our NJ plant. I suggested several times that they take a look at the grounding, no one ever did. On one visit out there I found the panel was ungrounded. I added a ground and bonded the chassis with a copper ground wire. Problem went away.

the PLC rack is old.
If you have a compressed air hose close, you could remove the modules from the rack and blow it out with air (carefully not touching anything with the nozzle). Also look into the connectors to make sure that they are clean, no trash, paper, chewing gum, or hair wedged into the connector slots.

I agree, if there is a spare power supply (or one can be found), then swap it out first. If that does not fix the problem, then at worst you then have a backup power supply.

Last edited:
I agree, if there is a spare power supply (or one can be found), then swap it out first. If that does not fix the problem, then at worst you then have a backup power supply.

thanks. i'm going to check the ground in rack and power supply.

if, i to install a memory card in PLC, the problem ends? because in new boot PLC loads the program from memory card.
am i correct?