ABB IRC5 to ML1100

spaceacealpha

Hello, I'm working on a replacement robot project and it goes into a level I haven't done before. I have a new ABB robot with a IRC5 Controller that was built a month ago, brand spanking new. I got it with a Ethernet I/P Slave card (optional unlike the LAN that comes equipped), and it also comes equipped with 2 channel Devicenet. (The Devicenet I'm trying to avoid)

I was going to hook up my 1761-L16BBB ML1100 controller ethenet port to the IRC5 Ethernet I/P port and the COMM port on the ML1100 to a 1761-NET-AIC VIA a 1761-CBL-AP00 cable. This NET-AIC will be communicating on my DH-485 Network to two other SLC 5/03 systems. My goal is to create a PLC bridge between my old systems and the new robot using block transfer's inside the ML1100 to send/receive data packets. (None of which are a timely manner or safety, just go here, done that signals)

Am I doing this the right way? If I am, please can someone tell me the correct way to set the ML1100 up as Ethernet I/P to talk with the IRC5 Slave I/P? I do know how to set up the DH485 side, I just need help on the Ethenet side.

The 1100 will not be a true master. You need a compactlogix or controllogix. You mig ht be able to pull off something. I out systems ljke this as just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Sorry I have been behind one guy lately that is trying to use 1100 & 1400 as EIP masters. It looks ugly every time I see it.

Good call if the it dies support Modbus TCP/IP you can step up to a 1400 and have the 1400 be the bridge.
1400 series B will talk Midbus TCP/IP. I did it not to long ago.

Alright, plan B. I'll open the Devicenet on the ABB, set the robot to slave, put a 1747-SDN in one of the SLC 5/03 racks set to master and keep the bridge for DH485 traffic. Instead of the ML1100 being the send/recieve unit, it will be a 5/03.

Seems like the next in-expensive step.

:nodi: