Doubt with MicroLogix1000

Jorge R.

Good Afternoon.
I'm a rookie in PLC's i have a Micrologix1000 1761L16BWA and we need to send it an analog signal, is there any way to do it? it's possible to add a analog module to this PLC? I'll appreciatte your help and thaks!!!

Jorge

Yes, the MircoLogix1000 have two analog inputs, either voltage or current. Inputs I:0.4 and 5 are for analog voltage, and I:0.6 and I:0.7 are for 4-to-20 miliampere current inputs. The analog input current count range is about 6241 to 31207, +/- 0.525 percent. See Chapter 5 of your User Manual.

Yes, Tim is correct - only the 1761-L20AWA-5A and the 1761-L20BWA-5A actually have the analog inputs, but AB doesn't explain that until Appendix A-2 in the manual.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Jorge.

The 1761-L20xxx models have analog inputs, however the 1761-L16BWA model does not have any analog inputs and is not expandable. It has only 10 24V inputs and 6 relay outputs.

The ML1000 is the bottom dweller of the AB PLC line. I recommend you step up to the ML1100 or ML1400, which come with two low resolution analog inputs (10 bit) or you can add analog input modules.

There may be some options for your PLC depending on what the analog signal represents and what you want to do with it, for example several manufacturers make analog limit relays that can provide a relay closure when an analog value is withing a certain range. More information about the application would be helpful for offering options.

Last edited:
Lancie1 another doubt, how can i tell to the program that when the input I:0/4 has 0-2 volts send and output signal good, if has 2.1volts to 2.9 volts send another output signal that´s no good butn if recevie from 3 to 4 volts again it's good.
Thanks in advance

Jorge,

Its time for a thread check. If your model is a 1761-L16BWA then you DO NOT HAVE analog inputs. Addressing I:0.4 and I:0.5 is not going to work.

Also note the difference in the addresses. I:0/4 is a bit address and can only have a value of 0 or 1, nothing else. I:0.4 is a word address and is the kind of address you would use for an analog input but it is meaningless on the L16 model of PLC as there is not such input and no word is allocated in the input image table.

If you need the manual you can find the manual for your PLC here:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf

If you are looking just to see if a signal is good when it is in a specific range then there are products like these limit relays.

http://www.actionio.com/action/ultra-slimpak/g108/
You could configure it so that if the signal is between two values as set by the trim pots then the relay turns on. You can wire the relay to a PLC input. It won't tell you what your signal is, just that it is between the setpoints.