Communication Protocol

hackj0632

Hey guys,

i have a project that i am using a micrologix 1400 on and i have 2 devices
sure servo amplifier and a SCF AC Tech VFD.
the issue seems to be that i want to communicate with channel 0 at 19200 baud rate to servo drive and the VFD is limited to 9600 baud rate.

a few questions i would like advice on are,
1) is channel 2 capable of mod-bus master RS485?
the ML1400 user manual says channel 2 is RS232 only?
RSLogix says i can use mod-bus RTU master or DH-485 so would this be theoretically possible?

if channel 2 is RS 232 only my fall back plan is to change the servo drive to match VFD settings.

thanks in advanced

You and the User Manual are both correct; Channel 2 on the MicroLogix 1400 is an RS-232 port only.

Channel 2 is capable of several different protocols, including Modbus RTU Master. To connect it to a Modbus RTU network that uses RS-485 signalling, you will need an RS-232 to RS-485 signal converter. B&B Electronics is my favorite vendor for those types of devices.

Channel 0 on the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers has both RS-232 and RS-485 pins; you change the Handshaking mode to determine which ones are active, and choose your cable (1761-CBL-PM02 or 1763-NC01) to connect to the desired pins.

If you don't need the serial ports on the MicroLogix for other purposes, I would say connect the two different devices to the two different serial ports. I think that would tend to reduce the chance of conflict or confusion.