DeviceNet Tags ??

whumphrey

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've setup DeviceNet in RSNetworx and Logix5000 using the Tag Generation Tool to read DataLinks A-D from a PowerFlex700 20-COMM-D module.

The DataLinks are DINT datatypes, however after using the Tag Generating Tool in Logix I ended up with an equivalent number of SINT tags (part of the UDT that the tool creates).

Is this how it is supposed to work? How to I reassemble these back in to a DINT?

Thanks,
Warren

The SINT array is only half of the data's trip from network to ControlLogix tag.

The code automatically generated by the DeviceNet Tag Generator "singulates" the data by copying it from the 1756-ENBT DINT[x] I/O tags into a SINT (8-bit) array, then back out into UDTs that are based on the specific devices.

If your software doesn't have the proper EDS files for the PowerFlex drive, then it won't be able to properly create a UDT that matches up the Parameter names with the DataLink parameter values.

So you'll be stuck with that intermediate step, the SINT[x] data array.

You can easily "convert" a SINT[4] to a DINT with the COP instruction; just make the destination a COP instruction and make the Length = 1.

Thanks for the reply. I talked with Rockwell Tech Support. Found out the EDS is only part of the problem. Turns out I have the most current EDS but because the DeviceNet input/output image for a PowerFlex drive is customizable (ex. assignable datalinks) the EDS cannot contain everything the tag generator needs to create a custom UDT.

When the tag generator tool doesn't know what to do with it you get a bunch of SINT members in the UDT.

They said the main problem is that the tag generator has not had an update to properly handle the powerflex. Entirely accurate? I don't know....but that's how I interpreted what they said.

A COP instruction by itself doesn't work because the tag that is created is is not a SINT array, rather a UDT of SINT elements. Rockwell's recommendation is to just map the Local tags directly from the 1769-SDN slot.