finding "connection" factory talk panelview plus

realolman

In the ladder logic there appears N7:83. Using Find all... that is the only occurence of N7:83.

The only other place that I can see that it could be modified from is the Panelview.

there are 43 screens in the Factory talk project.

How can I determine as definitively ( and easily )as possible: IF N7:83 is being manipulated in the PV+ and WHERE?

that's a lotta screens and buttons to sift through
Many times the use of the thing will give a clue to which screen... in this case it does not.

thank you.

Your best bet would be deploying the FTVS Tag Import and Export Wizard tool and export all the project's HMI Tags within a .csv file which will allow you to find out what CPU tags/addresses are being used by the HMI application.
However, this is true only for HMI Tags and not for Logix class style "direct tag" usage.
Since you mentioned N7:xy, hopefully this is a SLC/PLC - PanelView Plus system and the HMI application is using exclusively HMI Tags.
Finding where the tags are being used is the major issue here!:unsure:
Maybe someone here has found a solution to this; properly documenting applications is a must when complex and substantial projects are being developed.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
When developing a Logix class (ControLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix) PanelView Plus application, the user has two choices when it comes to "connecting" an HMI object to a CPU tag.
The developer could use the "old style", user defined/pre-configured HMI Tags or he could use the FTVS RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser feature where the RSL5K project database is Offline or Online invoked. You don't have to create the tag within the HMI Tags editor but simply point any object's Connection to the already existing RSL5K project tag.
In your case, since the CPU controller is a SLC class one, all the FTVS project tags are HMI Tags since the SLC/MicroLogix processors are not accessible via RSLinx Enterprise data server; you should be able to export the entire HMI project tag database within a .csv file.

It is possible that the tag could exist within the 'Tag Database' in which case it would probably have a different name when used in the 'Connection' tab. But it is also possible to refer to SLC/Micrologix addresses directly (while online to the SLC/Micrologic do a 'Refresh All Folders' and you get an 'Online' listing. The contents can be used as direct references.) So it is possible it is listed as 'N7:83'. This is what we need to do. With the HMI application open ...

1. 'Tools' - 'Tag Import and Export Wizard' - 'Export to CSV Files'. Make sure to note where the files are being created. it's best to make a new folder for these.

2. Right click on 'Displays'. 'Import and Export' - 'Export Graphic Information From Displays'. Select all displays (this is the default), select or create the destination folder. Again, make its own folder.

3. Use Windows Search (contents) on the folder from #1. Look for 'N7:83'. If it is found open the file and find it within the file. It will be on a line, near the right side. On the left side of that same line note the name assigned fo N7:83.

4. Using either the name found in step 3 or 'N7:83' if nothing was found in step 3 seach (again contents) the folder which was created in step 2. This will get you to the specific display(s) which reference this tag. You can try to find the name and interpret the code within the XML file(s) or just go to the display(s) with the same name as the file(s).

Last edited: