Showing PLC5 card comm/fault status in RSView32

DigitalTrader

Hello -

I need to show PLC5 card status (comms, fault, etc.) in RSView32 and am not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello -

I need to show PLC5 card status (comms, fault, etc.) in RSView32 and am not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum!

What exactly do you want to Monitor?

How are you Communicating with the PLC5?

What Version of RSView32 is installed on your PC?

What Operating System and Service Pack are you running on your PC?

We should be able to help you set up Tags once we know exactly what you need to do. There are a number of Status Table items you can Monitor in the PLC5.

Stu....

Thanks, that's great.

We would like to monitor individual card faults, what else is available?

Comms are Ethernet from HMI to PLC, RIO between racks.

Running RSView32 Works Release 7.60.00

Windows 7 PRO 32 Bit SP1

Thanks again.

It's also going to be important to know the set up of the racks of I/O in great detail with Remote I/O, some types of I/O require special attention to enable them to cause a rack fault in the processor, and how nad where the physical I/O will end up in the data tables.

This requires documentation outside of RSLogix5, which is often not kept current with what's in the machine. If you have good known documentiontation, ship this part:

You need a good physically record the rack layout, types of I/O, slot addressing modes (1/2, single or 2-slot).

I believe with RSLogix5, you can read the dipswitches in software for some parts of this, and other parts may require, powering down and looking at the cards. with a notepad, if they are in question.

From there, I recommend directly reading any slot/fault status in the Status file directly, which should work even if the PLC is faulted and halted.

For real I/O, I recommend mapping then to internal addresses with simple rungs for digitals with XIC, OTE (or XIO OTE if it makes sense to invert them). And with MOVs or COPs for analogs or other groups that occupy real I/O data table spaces.

Then you are free to layout the screen tags without having to worry about the physical I/O, make changes easily in simple ladder code, and make the core logic running off these mapped bits more portable.

Plus, certain processor and HMI/SCADA combinations disallow directly addressing I and O files.

Thanks, that's great.

We would like to monitor individual card faults, what else is available?

Comms are Ethernet from HMI to PLC, RIO between racks.

Running RSView32 Works Release 7.60.00

Windows 7 PRO 32 Bit SP1

Thanks again.

You can find details of the PLC5 Status File in Appendix B of this Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um012_-en-p.pdf

I have also attached a Screen Capture of some of the things we monitor on one of our PLC5 Systems. It uses DH+ for Communications, but Ethernet is even better.

Stu.....

PLC5_RSVIEW_STATUS.jpg

Does anyone have examples of the logic required for local and remote rack indication? I don't quite understand the block transfers for the RIO.

Thanks, really appreciate all the help.

Does anyone have examples of the logic required for local and remote rack indication? I don't quite understand the block transfers for the RIO.

Thanks, really appreciate all the help.

You will have to be more specific, I don't know exactly what you are asking. Exactly what do you want to monitor that isn't in the PLC5 Status File?

Stu....

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I am somewhat unfamiliar with PLC5. Is it possible to get individual card fault status? Either way, I was looking for a logic example of how to show local and RIO rack faults on the HMI.

Thanks for the patience.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I am somewhat unfamiliar with PLC5. Is it possible to get individual card fault status? Either way, I was looking for a logic example of how to show local and RIO rack faults on the HMI.

Thanks for the patience.

Are you talking about Cards in the Local Chassis, or in RIO Racks, or both?

Stu....

The 1771 I/O used in the PLC5 dates back to the PLC2 Era. When they started adding more Advanced I/O, they required the BTR/BTW Logic to support it.

I did some searching, and didn't find anything that would help you get more information than what is in the Status File. However, I/O Cards like Analog Inputs and Outputs using BTR/BTW may have more information available. You will have to look a the individual Manuals for these Cards, which you can find here.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_category.hcst

My gut feeling is that with these older I/O Cards, you aren't going to get a lot of specific information. The newer generations have improved on this, especially the Logix line.

If I am missing something, hopefully on of the Members with a lot more experience and knowledge of the PLC5 than I can help us out.

Stu....

The examples in the manuals are bare bones. I usually add on my own error recovery where necessary, but the code examples have to match the hardware configuration which vary especially with "smart" or block transfer modules..

Even for discrete RIO, it all depends on hardware and dip-switches, then finding their status words in the image.

This is why it's hard to give specific advice without knowing the intended hardware.

Flex I/O is an example of a type of I/O can be configured for use with a PLC-5 as well as newer controllers which support RIUP. Therefore, certain levels of the adapter module may support ignoring slot faults to allow RIUP when used with a PLC-5, so the fault bit in the PLC did not change states unless the whole adapter failed.

Last edited:
OK. I think then I'll have to stick with just showing local and remote rack faults, possibly comm errors if possible. Is there any documentation out there showing step by step instructions for how to do that? Defining the diagnostic file, creating block transfers, etc?

Again, truly appreciate all the help.

OK. I think then I'll have to stick with just showing local and remote rack faults, possibly comm errors if possible. Is there any documentation out there showing step by step instructions for how to do that? Defining the diagnostic file, creating block transfers, etc?

Again, truly appreciate all the help.

The first place I always start is with the User Manual I Linked to above in Post #5, and the Instruction Reference Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1785-rm001_-en-p.pdf

You can find other useful Documents in the Literature Library I Posted above in Post #12.

If you have a Tech Connect Contract, you can search the Knowledgebase. Even if you don't have a Tech Connect Contract, you can still register, and view Tech Notes available to Everyone.

This Forum has a wealth of information if you search here, and of course Google is always a good option.

Stu....