step 5 plc timeout

Metsa

hi!
i have a new computer and after i have installed step 5 i can´t go online to any cpus i only get the answer PLC TIMEOUT.
I can go online to the cpu whit the same comport and same cable but a difrent program so the cable and comport works but not in siemens step 5?
Is it anyone that have any idea what i can do?
My new computer is an panasonic toughbook cf-52

Welcome to the Forum!

i have a new computer and after i have installed step 5 i can´t go online to any cpus i only get the answer PLC TIMEOUT.
I can go online to the cpu whit the same comport and same cable but a difrent program so the cable and comport works but not in siemens step 5?
What is this other Program that you can go Online to the S5 with?

The Toughbook has a Real Hardware Serial Port, correct?

What is the exact Cable you are using?

What Operating System and Service Pack is running on the Toughbook?

What Version of Siemens Step5 Software are you using?

It seems most likely based on the information you have provided, that the Step5 Software Communications are not setup properly.

Stu....

I avoid using Siemens' Step5 newer than Stufe 3 (last OK release, late '80s / MSDos 6 /T5200), but I can imagine that this utterly unintuitive piece of software is hardcoded to communicate via COM1 or COM2.

Kalle

S5 for Windows

I recommend S5 for Windows from IBHsoftec. It is fairly priced and very user friendly piece of software. You can import/export STEP 5 projects.
S5 for Windows supports virtual com-ports over USB or Ethernet.
The newest version even has multi-segment editor. Meaning that all the networks/rungs of a block is available in the same window.

You haven't said what version of S5 you're trying to run or on which operating system.

The latest version of S5 is 7.23 which will run quite happily on Windows XP SP3 so long as you have a real (not USB) serial port.

S5 V7.23 will also run in a VMWare image of XP but if you allocate more than 1 cpu to the virtual machine then it causes problems with online connections.

Nick

PLC Timeout: Not communicating with PLC.

Stop the programs that using com port (RSLinx)

Use real com port (USB to SERIAL will not work)

Which version of step5? 7.23??

hi!
Is it anyone that have any idea what i can do?

If it is a very old copy of Step5 (DOS), i beleive COM1 is hard coded as the Comm port to be used.

Once i had a problem with a computer that ran a service on start up that booked the com port so it was busy all the time.
I had to first disable it, then restart the computer and after it started i could enable it again and use with S5.
Perhaps this is something you could try?