Programming an Absolute Encoder

SSeven

I have an absolute encoder, a TRElectronic one to be precise.
I have downloaded the software and bought the "very" expensive adapter and now I need to reconfigure it.
They tech support is virtually non existant , they have been absolutely no help at all. I have three of these encoders and I cannot get them to program at all.
Has anyone ever used them and is there a step I am missing or a trick to getting them to work?
I am using the EPROG32 software and an older serial adapter.
I have been in contact with their customer support over a period of some two months and they have been NO help.
I need to connect this to an AB PLC.

Need more details!
Which expensive adapter?
You can't program the encoder configuration or program the PLC?
What type of output from the encoder; bus, parallel?
The better the question, the better the answer.

PC Adapter Ver3.4 Serial adapter
TR Encoder type CE65M Parallel 25Pin connector x 2
TR Encoder type CE65M Parallel 303 Connector.
I have the pin outs for these ad the serial port is connected.
The problem is that I try to connect and seem to get no response whatsoever. Should I be getting a "Could not connect to an eprog device" every time I try and connect?
I find it hard to believe that all three devices will not connect?
To make it clear the device needs to be programmed so that it "can" communicate correctly with the PLC. I want a binary code output not a gray code output? among other changes. Changing code on the PLC is not an option