New siemens hardware platform

PDS

I got an email today from siemens inviting me to an event.

There will be a presentation of a new hardware platform, siemens called it the biggest launch of new hardware in 15 years (since S7) but it doesnt specify more than this.

the problem is I can't go.

Anyone know more about this ? is siemens retiring S7 ?

I havent got an invite :confused:

Maybe it is the successors to S7-300 and S7-400, like S7-1200's bigger brothers. The names S7-1400 and S7-1500 have been rumored before.

When is the event ?

I havent got an invite :confused:

Maybe it is the successors to S7-300 and S7-400, like S7-1200's bigger brothers. The names S7-1400 and S7-1500 have been rumored before.

When is the event ?

That would complicate things, why not call it the S7-1300 and S7-1400

;););)

Last edited:
I am sure that they will keep the "S7".

I feel a little bored, so I will speculate on what the new HW platform will be.

Scenario 1:
Same backplane and i/o as S7-300 and S7-400. Only the CPUs will be new.
"Classic" proprietary hardware CPU.
Can only be programmed with STEP7 v11.
Certainly with PN port(s) on board. DP only via expansion cards. MPI is not possible at all.

Scenario 2:
Same backplane and i/o as S7-300 and S7-400. Only the CPUs will be new.
CPUs will actually be IPCs in S7-300/S7-400 format - like S7-mEC.
PLC code will run in a new generation of WinAC RTX only to be programmed with STEP7 v11.
Backwards compatibility with STEP7 v5.5 is achieved by installing an older version of WinAC RTX.
Can run HMI software as well as PLC code. Just like Siemens IPCs can today.

Scenario 3:
All-new PLC based on the backplane and i/o of the recently announced ET200SP. High performance and RIUP in a small package.
Several all-new CPUs. Smallest will be like IM151-8. Biggest will be like 319.
Certainly with PN port(s) on board. DP only via expansion cards. MPI is not possible at all.

what do you think ?
what do you want in a new S7 PLC ?

Scenario 3:
All-new PLC based on the backplane and i/o of the recently announced ET200SP. High performance and RIUP in a small package.
Several all-new CPUs. Smallest will be like IM151-8. Biggest will be like 319.

My vote goes for Scenario 3. The old backplane is outdated and i think its hard to keep both backwards compatibility and the demands expected from a modern plc system.

Last edited:
I have heard a couple of rumors.

The first one is that TIA Portal v12 will be out at the start of 2013 so make sure you have your SUS's up to date.

Also that soon Siemens will be doing something similar to a closed beta test with the 1500 series. I believe this will be replacing the 300's.

Oh yeah the portal v12 is supposed to allow you to archive and retrieve again.

The event is planned for 4th and 6th of December.
I will probably attend the latter one.

Am rather curious as to what they'll be introducing.

I am sure that they will keep the "S7".

I think that that is a dead certainty.

I've been expecting S7-1300 and S7-1400 CPUs that are TIA portal only for some time but then there are some very powerful arguments for a whole new set of backplane hardware too.

Primary communications: Ethernet - agreed
Profibus as an extra add on - agreed
No MPI - agreed

Nick

According to sps-forum.de, the new S7-1500 should be revealed at the "SPS IPC Drive" show in Nürnberg on 27-29 November.
It should be a replacement for S7-300, maybe also for S7-400.

Ok lets hope for GB-ethernet ports.

The most bottleneck in my plant is communication CPU<>CPU and kots of scada.
Until no we use WinLC 4.1 on rack pc's, we often got problems with the PC hardware. So we like to change to non pc cpu with
1 GB ethernet, minimal 64 S7 connections.

a big + would be two ethernet ports in in different IP ranges, lets say 1 for the PLC network and a different for the scada network.

Last edited:
I was told by a high up at Siemens Nürnberg that the S7-1500s coming out in Nov are replacing the S7-300s. The design is supposed to be very similar to the S7-1200s.