trigger cognex camera from micrologix 1100

lacruth

Hi

I want trigger an insight 5400 camera from micrologix 1100 Ch1(ethernet port), I've done from slc500 trough msg instruction and st register(st has native string "se0" Set event 0)
but I have not experience with ML1100,and I can't put a st register in msg instruction, so anybody knows the way to send the trigger ethernet from this plc?

thanks!!

Hi

I want trigger an insight 5400 camera from micrologix 1100 Ch1(ethernet port), I've done from slc500 trough msg instruction and st register(st has native string "se0" Set event 0)
but I have not experience with ML1100,and I can't put a st register in msg instruction, so anybody knows the way to send the trigger ethernet from this plc?

thanks!!
I tried to use the register ST in data table address on msg setup screen window and comunication command 485cif write
is it the right way to do?, What is 485cif means?

ML1100.jpg

I know this is old but I discovered the answer so I'm going to post it. My application is similar except I'm using a Micrologix 1400 and an In-Sight Micro 1401.

First thing's first. Your message setup needs to be "PLC5 Type Write." This will change the "Data Table Offset" field under "Target Device" to "Data Table Address."

Second, the Address you want to put in the Target field is ST10:0. This is the default address for all Native Mode Commands.

Third, I don't know if it's different for the 5400, but for the Micro, I used the "SE8" command to trigger the camera. SE8 is the built-in command for triggering so there is no need to set up anything in the spreadsheet.

So in other words, to trigger a Cognex Camera over ethernet with a Micrologix 1100/1400, you need to write the string "SE8" to address ST10:0 in the Camera, using the PLC5 Typed Write protocol.

P.S. Note the following:

1. The Camera must be online for the message to work, otherwise it will Error out
2. I had my trigger mode set to Network, but I believe there are two other modes that allow Native Mode Commands to work.

I know this is old but I discovered the answer so I'm going to post it. My application is similar except I'm using a Micrologix 1400 and an In-Sight Micro 1401.

First thing's first. Your message setup needs to be "PLC5 Type Write." This will change the "Data Table Offset" field under "Target Device" to "Data Table Address."

Second, the Address you want to put in the Target field is ST10:0. This is the default address for all Native Mode Commands.

Third, I don't know if it's different for the 5400, but for the Micro, I used the "SE8" command to trigger the camera. SE8 is the built-in command for triggering so there is no need to set up anything in the spreadsheet.

So in other words, to trigger a Cognex Camera over ethernet with a Micrologix 1100/1400, you need to write the string "SE8" to address ST10:0 in the Camera, using the PLC5 Typed Write protocol.

P.S. Note the following:

1. The Camera must be online for the message to work, otherwise it will Error out
2. I had my trigger mode set to Network, but I believe there are two other modes that allow Native Mode Commands to work.

Now that I know how to trigger a camera, what would be the procedure to get values/check if the camera is online. I know that there is a Get Online native command and a get value, so I guess what my question is, how do I configure the message command to extract that value from an insight camera?

Thank you!

Example cognex-ml1100

now that i know how to trigger a camera, what would be the procedure to get values/check if the camera is online. I know that there is a get online native command and a get value, so i guess what my question is, how do i configure the message command to extract that value from an insight camera?

Thank you!

this is an attach. File with a complete example.

Thanks for the quick response!

I appreciate the code, as it was easy to follow, but the WriteEIP and ReadEIP have been stripped out of the 5.1.0 Cognex firmware release, and the camera model I have is not compatible with any firmware lower. Other than that, it was brilliant!

I'm looking to see if I can get more detailed examples of the native mode commands using the PLC5Write / PLC5Read that was previously mentioned in this thread. I have discrete triggers and fail signals, but I am looking to find if the camera is online using the "Get Online" native mode command and the the "Get Value" command to return the value of a single cell.

If you haven't guessed already, I'm fairly new to PLC and vision programming, and I'm a bit over my head, and almost out of inputs.

Thanks!

yes you can!!
you only need to set the right native word
example ST10:0 se0 (trigger),
ST10:1 so0 (set camera offline)
ST10:2 so1 (set camera online)
and so...as the camera is slave, you have to do nothing in it!

Ahh, i forgot to mention that PCCC has also been stripped from 5.1.0. I think that if I use the PLC5 read/write, it uses PCCC. What I am unclear about is if the CIP Generic function can work.

Ok, I think I found it, though I haven't been able to test. The Cognex cameras support CIP Generic explicit messaging, but not PCCC anymore.

I found this document on the support website: http://www.cognex.com/support/downloads/ns/1/11/93/PLC_Communications_03.pdf

Now the specific example for a Micrologix/SLC 500 specifically uses PCCC communication, using the PLC5 Write option in the message command, which is what was previously suggested in this thread. However, in one of the RSLogix 5000 examples (2.1), it talks about the using the CIP generic function to send native commands. From this, I was able to "translate" most of the steps into RSlogix 500 in the message block. I attempted to use strings as my my "data table address (send)" and "data table (receive)", but i get a invalid data type error. It appears that it needs an integer or float.

My question to the group is this: how do I format an integer or float like the example 2.1 in rslogix 500? It doesn't look like I can make a custom data type like in RSlogix 5000 (I might be wrong, but I am still new at this), but since it appears to just be several integers in an ASCII format, I would think it would be possible. I believe that Lacruth's commands are exactly what needs to be sent to the camera, but I need to code them in an integer or float.

Thank you all for your help!

Micrologix1400 PLC with Cognex DM8050E Scanner

Hi Guys, I am new in this forum. I am currently working on a project which has Micologix 1400 PLC and Cognex Scanner DM8050E.
I am using ethernet communication between these two and will use MSG instruction to get the scanner Data.
Is there any sample program for this configuration to get the scanner data.