Max Available Fault Current

Tim Ganz

I am using allen bradley MCS star software to select a breaker and busbar and it is asking for max available fault current and I don't know waht that value is not the correct way to calculate it.

the service feeding this busbar will be 100 amp and come froma 100 mcc bucket.

How can I find this value or is there some value I can use that will cover all bases?

I am using allen bradley MCS star software to select a breaker and busbar and it is asking for max available fault current and I don't know waht that value is not the correct way to calculate it.

the service feeding this busbar will be 100 amp and come froma 100 mcc bucket.

How can I find this value or is there some value I can use that will cover all bases?

A Google Search will let you find how to Calculate the Fault Currents. Basically it is the Impedance of the Transformer, size of Feeders, and Distance.

I presume you meant 100A Bucket, does it have Fuses, or a Breaker?

Are you trying to Calculate the Fault Current at the MCC Bucket, or at the new 100A Bus?

Stu....

I see most breakers and such are either 50ka or 65ka. If i get everything 65ka will the system be safe without doing the calculations?

There is no way of knowing without doing the Calculation.
You need to know what the available Fault Current is, for the Circuit and location you are protecting.

Stu....