Has anyone used remote I/O with a Redloin - Looking for suggestoins.

ViperDaSnake

Hey guys,

I am looking for a remote I/O solution to Redlion's protocol converters.

To give the big picture.
I am revamping an in house notification system.

I am looking at using a Redlion touchscreen (or any of the related protocol converters) as the core device.

This will "talk" serially to this device (TextSpeak World TTS) to produce the audio.

This TextSpeak device will feed an existing amplified speaker network (PA system) located in the facility.

The Redlion will monitor "dry contacts" in the field to determine what to alert on. It will also close relay outputs to light up strobes or stack lights.

I am looking at these devices as an example but I am looking for suggestions or feedback...

SeaI/O Ethernet (Modbus TCP) Data Acquisition Modules

Any suggestions?

Hey iant,

The Redlion device is not the question.
Any of their protocol converters should work nicely.

We use their Modular Controller already but I need a remote IO option.
Something over IP is what I am looking for assistance on.

Thanks

I have only used the AB #### Point to Point E/Net modules with compact logic processsor
but that axpence would almost be the sams as an E/net ML1100 or 1400
at the end of the day remote IO via e/net is possible and the link suggests 'Multizone'
I have only used a Redlion HMI with their modbus CUB displays - too long ago to remember now

EDIT
1734 Point to Point - sorry

Last edited:
Hey iant,

The Redlion device is not the question.
Any of their protocol converters should work nicely.

We use their Modular Controller already but I need a remote IO option.
Something over IP is what I am looking for assistance on.

Thanks

look at moxa or adam. they both have remote IO that is much cheaper than what you posted. both offer modbus tcp.

I also used Acromag once... I had some initial problems with dropped connections, but they where very good at working with me. They downloaded Crimson, and used the emulator to troubleshoot the problem. I have to give them a shout, because I do like a vender who when there is problems, does not just blame the other company.

+1 for the ADAM modules.

http://www.advantech.com/eautomation/remote-io/

I've personally used the ADAM-4000 series (serial connection) with a Red Lion. With the Crimson drivers it worked fine but in retrospect I should have used the ADAM-6000 series with Ethernet for easier setup. The G3's Modbus TCP support is well documented and if you do a forum search you will find others who have the 6000 and Red Lion talking.

+1 for the ADAM modules.

http://www.advantech.com/eautomation/remote-io/

I've personally used the ADAM-4000 series ...... ADAM-6000 series with Ethernet for easier setup. The G3's Modbus TCP support is well documented and if you do a forum search you will find others who have the 6000 and Red Lion talking.

I ordered the ADAM-6066-BE as a test unit.
I have to admit. I have not done a lot of research on this vendor.
I did search for Redlion Modbus TCP posts on the forum but I didn't seem to stumble across anything like what your suggesting, but that's probably my fault...

I did find this via Google originally but having never dealt with them or the Modbus TCP protocol in general,
I decided to solicit advise from you guys....

Thanks for the post...!!! (that goes for all of you too...!)(y)

Here goes nothing...Just ordered one of each..!

I forgot to mention this but if this application will be on solar power I would recommend the adam over the moxa. I have found that the moxa unit will lock up if voltage goes below a certain point, and will not recover without a reboot, even if the voltage comes back up.