Tachometer input to plc and output at remote location

brucekess

Is it possible to take a tachometer signal to a plc and use the plc to transfer the signal to a remote location?

I work at a paving company and we have portable plants. I'd like to take the tachometer signal at the feed bins and transfer that over ethernet to the control house and output the same signal to the control software for measuring speed. This will make setting up the plants faster by not having as many or as long of wires to run and possibly eliminate some noise. I use plc's but not everyday so i'm semi familar with them but no expert. I'm researching this through some input card manuals but nothing is clear on how to do this. These are fairly slow turning i'd say up to 500 rpm.

You may be able to find an EthernetIP or Device Net (or whatever network your PLCs talk in) Tach. The Tach would send the speed to the PLC in the control house over the Ethernet or DeviceNet cable. Some netwoks can send DC power to the Tach and get the data back all in the same cable. Talk to the vendor whom you work with on your PLCs they can probably recommend something.

Yes it is possible, you would need to match the voltage output from the tacho to the voltage input on a device. The other way would be to use an encoder instead of a tacho, these give out pulses instead of varying voltage. From the brief information I would look at the Eaton range of smart relays, they are easy to programme, versatile and you can network up to eight of them using ethernet type cable.

http://www.eaton.com.cn/EN/EatonCNE...mationSystem/EasyControlRelayFamily/index.htm

You would use an 800 series at the bin end to take in pulses or voltage and an MFD at the far end to display the reading.