Temperature Chamber

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking to either buy or make a temperature chamber to go to 350 Deg F (Roughly 180 Deg C).

I don't need laboratory grade anything. Really just need to verify that the temperature remains above 325F during a test.

I need something about 2 ft^3 maybe a little larger but the kicker is that what I'm testing will have oil in it and there is almost a 100% chance of getting oil in the chamber.

Do you think I'm stupid to try to make my own chamber? I know I will need high temp shutdown etc... Will try to work out the heat transfer so that given amount of heating capacity cannot run away from me...

Also looking for recommendations for suppliers that might have industrial chambers that get to this temperature range and can take a little spilled oil.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nice thought but this is for re-sale and really needs to be new. But I guess I should be looking for ovens and not "environmental chambers"

Sorry, I misunderstood your purpose and thought you only needed to heat something up one time and see the results.

A new Blue Max lab oven will impressively do the job, but a new home oven would be cheaper. Home ovens easily go up to 500 degrees F. Bread bakes at 350 to 400. (Not married or don't cook, I see!)

Last edited:
Oil Characteristics?

I'm sure you have checked this, but what are the combustion/ flammability info on the oil(s) that will be used? 325 F may be getting up there for some oils and you may need redundant safeties or the fire department may become involved (don't ask me why I bring up this point ...)

I'm sure you have checked this, but what are the combustion/ flammability info on the oil(s) that will be used? 325 F may be getting up there for some oils and you may need redundant safeties or the fire department may become involved (don't ask me why I bring up this point ...)

Understand. Looking at stuff with flash points above 500F

Although the high limit is supposed to protect the oven, it really protects the people from the process/fire in our litigious society.

A high limit controller needs to trip, latch out, and cut the power to elements well below the flash point or the lawyers could be serving your summons.

Temperatures in consumer ovens like my GE can swing ±35°F around the setpoint.

Looking at the Blue M ovens mentioned here.

Will also go for a water based fluid to limit need for special ratings on the oven.

Thanks