CLX L61 (19.52) and Clock Update Tool - timezone problem

Hi there,

I need to sync 46 controllers with an NTP service what appears to be pain in the ***. My NTP service is located on a Linux server, all my other servers have recently been upgraded From Windows 2003 to Windows 2008, all the workstations to Windows7. Finally I found one last PC under one's desk running Windows XP. This is now the host for my Logix5000 Clock update tool 2.4.2.

After the first sync I've already seen strange behavior - the controllers are 4 hours behind the workstation. This offset seems to have something to do with the timezone settings, currently I'm GMT+4. Even more strange, when I set the workstation and the controller to GMT+0, then sync, Clock Upadte tool will show the same time for workstation and controllers, in the controller properties the time will again appear 4 hours off (wtf?)

Googling around didn't help much, anybody here got an idea how I can get my things synced?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum!

Apparently this is a known bug with V2.42.

AB/RA recommends installing V2.41 until a new Version is available that corrects this anomaly.

Stu....

Finally I found one last PC under one's desk running Windows XP. This is now the host for my Logix5000 Clock update tool 2.4.2.

I believe he was aware of that, and did find an XP Machine to run it on.

Stu....

I realized that. Just wanted everyone to know.

Noted, as far as I know you are correct. AB/RA always seems slow in updating for new Operating Systems. Windows 8 is out, and they still have lots of Programs that aren't compatible with Windows 7. Oh well.

Stu....

Hi there,

I need to sync 46 controllers with an NTP service what appears to be pain in the ***. My NTP service is located on a Linux server, all my other servers have recently been upgraded From Windows 2003 to Windows 2008, all the workstations to Windows7. Finally I found one last PC under one's desk running Windows XP. This is now the host for my Logix5000 Clock update tool 2.4.2.

After the first sync I've already seen strange behavior - the controllers are 4 hours behind the workstation. This offset seems to have something to do with the timezone settings, currently I'm GMT+4. Even more strange, when I set the workstation and the controller to GMT+0, then sync, Clock Upadte tool will show the same time for workstation and controllers, in the controller properties the time will again appear 4 hours off (wtf?)

Googling around didn't help much, anybody here got an idea how I can get my things synced?

Thanks

Hi,
Don't know if this will help you, but what we do here with our L61's is we have an off-site server (via Kepware) write a "Clock-Sync" tag high at 4:30 pm every day to all of our machines. When this bit goes high, we write a 16, 30, and 0 to registers 3,4, and 5 respectively of a 7-element DINT array, then SSV the array to WallClockTime. Kind of a pain to set-up, but it works reliably so far.

I'm still on the AB tool, however, I've noticed that the clocks are off more than 1000ms when updating every 12 hours. not a big deal, set the update interval to 2 hours but I'm still wondering what could possibly cause such a drift...

Will be interesting when they finally shut down the XP thing so I have to switch to a solution like bmacattack33.