Siemens S7 to Rockwell ControlLogix

Oakley

In a new facility that we are designing, some skidded equipment is being delivered with S7.

Our plant is primarily Rockwell ControlLogix. In order to get the information from the skids to ControlLogix, what communications protocol could/should I use? I'd like to stay with Ethernet/IP, but do not know anything regarding Siemens products.

Hi

I have done this a few times from a s7 to control logix.
I have used a prosoft proibus card as I am not sure it can be done over Ethernet
But maybe someone here will know better. I just set the card as a slave module and set it up in the network config in the s7 dropped in the sample code into the clx , setting the node address and away it went. If there is anything I can do or if you would like the prosoft card just let me know.

Donnchadh

In a new facility that we are designing, some skidded equipment is being delivered with S7.

Our plant is primarily Rockwell ControlLogix. In order to get the information from the skids to ControlLogix, what communications protocol could/should I use? I'd like to stay with Ethernet/IP, but do not know anything regarding Siemens products.

I recently was involved in a Project where we used an CP-343 Lean Ethernet Card at the S7 end, and a ProSoft MVI56E-MNET at the ControlLogix end. This used Modbus TCP for the Communications.

It worked fine, however, the choices were made before I became involved. ProSoft has an Interface Card that talks to Siemens PLCs directly, I would have a look at that.

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/16741

Stu....

Last edited:
I recently was involved in a Project where we used an CP-343 Lean Ethernet Card at the S7 end, and a ProSoft MVI56E-MNET at the ControlLogix end. This used Modbus TCP for the Communications.

It worked fine, however, the choices were made before I became involved. ProSoft has an Interface Card that talks to Siemens PLCs directly, I would have a look at that.

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/16741

Stu....

Sweet. That looks like what I will spec.
Thanks.

Hi mike

I used one of these a while back from a s7 (profibus)to a slc (deveicenet)and I have to say it worked very well and the software was easy to use. I did not set up the S7 side but i was there the day it was set up and it was as I would have set up and module in s7 .
It was a bit dear and that's why I used the prosoft card more.

The Ethernet option is also something I have never used It but sounds good

Donnchadh

Last edited:

In a past life I worked for a system integrator. Our clients would procure whatever machinery, plant, or skidded equipment met their needs, but would specify that "Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix", or whatever would have to be the control system. I was actually a little surprised back then as to how few of the suppliers said they couldn't do it.

It's not that they can't do it, but rather that they want a premium to do such.

Plus, this project is in the asia market. Their standards are different than here in the good 'ol US.

It's not that they can't do it, but rather that they want a premium to do such.

Plus, this project is in the asia market. Their standards are different than here in the good 'ol US.

I mentioned it because our clients wanted total control - to make changes if necessary, to facilitate maintenance, i.e. stocks of spares, and expertise of personnel.

The clients we worked for paid the premium, so that their future costs were minimised.