Wireless RF Remote Switching

Scooter

Hello, I work at a large canning factory, We have many can tracks from our processing area to the warehouse. To be flexible it is required that the can tracks feed different equipment depending on the product run. I am looking for a simple radio frequency switch to deal with the changing of one can line to another.
Idealy it would be a transmitter with a input from the warehouse equipment and a receiver with a dry set of contacts to the production equipment.
As it is now we have to run 100yds. of wire to complete the automatic circuit.(a real pain)
The max. distance would be 100yds. non line of sight.
Hope I have explained this correctly.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

There are many such transmitter-and-receiver switches. I have used several in the past, so do a search and make a choice. However, you should ask the questions: What is the worst that can happen if the receiver does not pick up the signal to change the can track (due to noise, lightning, loss of power supply, someone opening their garage door)? Also, if the remote switch does not work out, will you be blamed for not using the standard: wire? If the answers are unacceptable, then use the wire! It is called "hard-wired" because it means the system is "hardened" against such glitches, not because it is "hard" to do it!.

Why not turn it around and see this as an opportunity to run a bundle of wires (10-conductor #12 cable?) from the warehouse to the production area, so next time they want a change, it will be easy!

Last edited:
If you can use Device Net I/O blocks on your equipment, Omron have radio Device Net transmitters available. Attach one to each piece of equipment. The change would then be very simple.

Here is a link to an overview of radio Device Net
Radio Device Net
16.gif

Last edited: