RSLinx Enterprise 5.10 Install

mdemmer

Just wondering if anyone else is running into the same issue I am having. I just got a new laptop with Windows7 64 bit Pro. I have installed almost all of my AB software but I am stuck at RSViewStudioME 5.10 with CPR9 SR2. Everything installs upto RSLinx Enterpirse. It just stops halfway through and just says that the Install Wizard was interrupted. No Other error is present.

On a side note. I had to install my RSView32 Version 7.40 and Ultra3000 1.64 under Windows XP Mode and run it as an XP application. I am going to do the same thing with StudioME to see if it works too. Enterprise says in the manual that 64bit OS systems are supported....maybe my version is too old? But all other CPR 9 SR2 Rockwell software (RSLogix 500, 5000 and Panel Builder32) all work fine?

Just an update...

Now I'm super ****ed with allen Bradley and this bogus install. The XP Mode doesn't work either as the Window7 treats the XP Mode as a Remote Client and apparently FT doesn't allow that. So yet again AB is FORCING People to Update the Software because they can't see ahead far enough to allow old software to run on new OS. But yet the OLD a DIRT Panel Builder 32 (yes 32 bit is in the name) work but a copy from 2010 of RSView Studio Doesn't? NICE JOB!

I hope this will help anyone that is in the same boat.

I did get my 51 version installed with RSLinx Enterprise. After doing some looking around I found an AB tech note that states that Factory Talk CPR 9 SR3 (not SR2) is the first version that has 64-bit drivers available. Even at that level there is only Ethernet / EthernetIP / Remote IO available. They suggest to update to Factory talk CPR9 SR5 or StudioME 6.1.

The problem with this is it's all or nothing. Once Factory Talk is updated to the newest version there is an online / Dongle activation an the old ME is no longer going to work. This gives major problem to plants with Older HMI's developed in 5.10 or an older version. Also to convert an application developed in 5.1 or older and make it work on 6.1, the firmware need updating and the tags need to be converted using another program. SO.....

The trick is to download VMWare (supported by allen-bradley) and NOT XP Mode. Install the older version here and run it through VMWare. The problem with XP Mode is it does allow file sharing but it treats the XP Mode as a remote client. Factory talk Directory Tree Does NOT Like This.

I hope this helps anyone conquer their AB Software issues. It is Painful to upgrade but it is the cost of doing business