New Scale Project

JPCompounds

I currently have a small micrologix 1000 controller the controls a slide gate on our boxout hopper.

On a separate line out boxout system is integrated on our PLC5 with logic to weigh out our boxes automatically with integration of a mettler toledo scale on RIO.

The plant manager would like to standardize the operation so both lines work "automatically".

To do this I need a new processor that can accept a scale input. I'm guessing I can work with RIO or with a straight analog input. Our current scales have option boards for either available.

What inexpensive controller would you recommend? I do have a SLC 5/05 that controls other aspects of the same line and could possibly handle the packaging much in the same way the other line operates.

Looking for ease of implementation and lowest cost alternative.

Thank you,

J

What is the PLC5 model number?
You might be able to integrate the ML1000 and the PLC5 via peer-to-peer messaging on a DH-485 network using a 1761-NET-AIC communication interface.
This would be the most cost effective solution compared with either migrating the ML1000 application entirely onto the PLC5 or the installation of another CPU.

It is not clear to me what controllers you have on what line, but if you already have a SLC5/05 on the line in question I would use it.

dmargineau, FYI PLC5/?? controllers do not support DH485 protocol.

Mickey, sorry for the confusion. Line 1 - Currently has a SLC5/05 and a separate ML1000. The other Line 2 uses the PLC5

Yes the SLC 5/05 is on the same line as the ML1000 and the packaging operation we want to automate.

It is not clear to me what controllers you have on what line, but if you already have a SLC5/05 on the line in question I would use it.

dmargineau, FYI PLC5/?? controllers do not support DH485 protocol.

Yes they do...When the PLC5 has on-board DH+ and a 1785-KA5 installed module...I have done it quite a few times with DH+ PLC5s and ML1000s using the 1785-KA5 DataHighway Plus/DH-485 Communication Adapter Module.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um055_-en-p.pdf