new to dslaunch and Direct Logic

Davoli

I just started a job that uses direct logic, and I am used to Allen Bradley and the RS family. I was wondering if there is a way to find out what each input and output are in these programs that has no descriptions. I understand the logic for the most part but don't what each symbol is pertaining to. I also was wondering if on an input module in slot 2 has exact numbering (x20-27)? Any help is truly appreciated. Thank You

Welcome to the forum.

Just as in an SlC-500 or Micrologix program the documentation for locations exists only in the original program file. Absent that you may get information from schematics.

I try to provide some help for the transition at my site.

The CPU manuals are available at the AutomationDirect website. Download the main CPU manual for each DL line you are working with. Read them carefully. They have a lot of information in a very compact form.

Module I/O numbering depends on the order of the modules and the number of I/O points in siimilar (input or output) modules closer to the CPU. The inputs (X's) and outputs (Y's) have their own numbering. So it depends on your particular setup. The Directsoft package, while online, has an I/O monitor to the assignments of addresses to the modules. In other words, the module's slot is not a part of the I/O address like the AB PLCs.

Come back with more questions.

Last edited:
As far as the slot assignment, it depends on which card is there. For instance, if slot 1 has an 8 input module, then the addressing in slot 2 would start x10 - x17. Octal addressing scheme. Same with output cards, relies on the card capabilities.

As far as the slot assignment, it depends on which card is there. For instance, if slot 1 has an 8 input module, then the addressing in slot 2 would start x10 - x17. Octal addressing scheme. Same with output cards, relies on the card capabilities.

This is true if the I/O configuration has not been changed. Ran into this one before where the mfg changed the I/O configuration. Also watch for analog cards they take up I/O also. As Bernie said check the I/O monitor.

Tom

Thanks guys

I appreciate what you have told me but I am still having problems. I am not exactly sure how to know what each address is representing. I have the manuals but they aren't making what I'm doing crystal clear either. Is there a way to find out what each address is controlling? I was told that in the original program it will tell me. How do I find that? There are numerous PLCS in this plant and I know how to read ladder logic but I don't know where each address is in the module or what it is. All help is truly appreciated. Thanks

I hope you at least have a schematic of the machine and can relate inputs and outputs to module positions. Using that information fill in those names at their respective positions in the program on your PC.

You will need a thorough understanding of the machine/process to work out the other locations. This isn't an easy process.

There are only a few locations in the PLC which ahve pre-defined meanings. Those are shown in the manuals. Beyond that you will have to do a bit of guessing by looking at the inputs and outputs.

Addressing

So how does the addressing work if I have a 205 or 305 CPU with these modules in order:
D216NA (I know it is a 16 point input module)
D216NA
D2-12TA 12 point output?
D2-08TA 8 point output?

What would the first output module addresses be? x0-x13 and don't include 8 and 9 correct? then the next would be x20-27 since it is an 8 point?

Last edited:
@bernie I do not have any schematics. All I have is the ability to plug into the PLC. I can push the status button to see what is active but that isn't really helping me at the moment because as soon as I do a bunch of the screen turns green. Thank you. I have read all of your sections on the AB to AD transition and it has helped a little bit.

You have a 205 rack (because the modules have 'D2'). A 305 rack is very different. We won't talk about it.

We will discuss the DEFAULT assignment of the addresses for these modules. (This information can also be seen while ONLINE by using 'PLC' - 'Configure I/O'

D216NA - X0 - X17 (This is OCTAL adressing)

D216NA - X20 - X37

D2-12TA 12 point output? Y0 - Y5, Y10 - Y15
(Note 10 total outputs will appear within an adressing space of Y0 - Y17 - No useful information is in the unused points.)

D2-08TA 8 point output? Y20 - Y27 (This starts at Y20 because of the occupied space of the previous output module)

Note: it will become useful to know the actual CPU in this system. It will have a number of DL230, DL240, DL250 or DL260

And no schematics? You are really going to have fun.

Last edited:
So every module takes up 0-17 or 20-37, etc.. no matter how many points the modules are except for 8 points? I know I am going to have fun. I am somehow going to have to reverse engineer the programs

how do I have a y100 in one of my transfer programs when there are only 2 modules. an input and an ouput. One more question on the addressing. Do the addresses go down or left to right? For example, are x0 and x1 on top of one another or are they next to each other? i really appreciate all your help bernie

Last edited:
This information can also be seen while ONLINE by using 'PLC' - 'Configure I/O'

Some of the CPUs can reassign the assigned I/O addresses. This may be what has happened.

The other unused X and Y addresses are useable for general purpose bit registers, though I would use C bits for storage of bit type information (too much confusion).

One more question on the addressing. Do the addresses go down or left to right? For example, are x0 and x1 on top of one another or are they next to each other? i really appreciate all your help bernie