counting parts on conveyor

Jieve

Hello guys,

In a simple conveyor application I'm counting parts moving from one conveyor to another using the* N.O. aux motor contactor feedback and an inductive sensor located at the interface between the two belts. If the sensor has a positive edge and contactor feedback says belt moving forward, save the state. If sensor negative edge and belt still moving forward, reset States and count up. If Opposite direction, then count down.

The Problem I'm having is that if the operator inches the belt forward in manual, the States sometimes arent saved because of the slow reaction of the contactor feedback contact.

I'm thinking i could maybe somehow use timers that continue to run maybe 100 ms after the belt contactor is disengaged to make up for the inertia. I'm curious though if anyone has a more elegant solution. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jieve, from what I understand, the sensor detects motion. Now, if it is the only sensor, it has no clue if it is moving forward or reverse, it is only reading pulses. Add another sensor input for reverse, and i bet your problems will go away. Happy Thanksgiving