Enable/disable Ethernet Modules

Daniel_LeRoy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Running a CompactLogix L23E QB1B, with multiple General Ethernet modules (one being an iVU Plus scanner that you guys helped me get working, Thanks again)

My Question;
Is there anyway to switch on and off Ethernet modules so that logix is no longer looking for them. Reason why I ask is that I have three of almost the exact programs but with three different modules that connect to them (different I/P address, and I/O). If I could enable or disable them with a switch I could combine them into one program to maintain and update. I've been digging around all day and haven't come up with anything clever. Anyone have any hot tips or any ever thought about doing this?

** Side Note: Hope everyone has a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! Travel safe everyone ** 🍻

In general "completely the same except different" machines with a universal program are more hassle than they are worth.

That being said, what you're looking for is the GSV and SSV instructions for the Module object. You can Inhibit and un-Inhibit a connection using the SSV instruction.

The details are in the User Manual or the Online Help... I don't have either at my fingertips right now.

D*mn,
Ken beat me to it. Anyway, attached is an excerpt from 1756-RM003L-EN, page 197, which describes the how to inhibit and de-inhibit a module.
Basically, the way that I have done it, you need to set up a tag of type INT. Call it, "My_Inhibit_INT". Then you need to either set or clear bit two of this tag when inhibiting or enabling the module.

Your logic could look something like this:

Code:
XIC Eth_Disable_SW ONS One_Shot1 OTL My_Inhibit_INT.2 SSV Module My_Ethernet_Card Mode My_Inhibit_INT

XIO Eth_Disable_SW ONS One_Shot2 OTU My_Inhibit_INT.2 SSV Module My_Ethernet_Card Mode My_Inhibit_INT
Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

ModuleInhibitSSV.jpg

Thanks guys. Every interesting. I'm writing some test logic right now. Thanks for the good advice Ken, I understand the possible complications.

:)