So I'm finally learning about PLC's kind of.

plcinterest

Well come to find out the last set of lessons in my Electronics tech program is industrial computers/automation computers. Its not super in depth, but its not bad either. Learning about language, software, and ladder logic. This is where I want to be. I cannot tell you how in intrigued, how enthralled I am with this subject. I find it just freakin' fascinating. don't make fun of me for that please, I just am. I am gonna enroll in Thomas Edison state college's Electrical/mechanical systems and maintenance program for my AAS degree. I believe that teaches all aspects of industrial maintenance including PLC's. If I get my degree in this area, do you think I'm guaranteed to catch on with someone right out of school? I see so many jobs in this area its almost scary. I mean tons, and tons of openings. Thanks for any info, and help. I will appreciate any advice you may have.

I remember running my first program written from scratch, and that power, hey my program made this much difference in this machine? So to the company, from this day forward it's value increases 24/7, 365.

I felt a strong passion for the ideal of changing the world, one solenoid valve and motor controller at a time.

The field is addicting, very valuable, and brings great responsibility. you have to research and understand pretty much everything, and the learning is continuous.

Get a real PLC to play with.

Welcome!
Paul

Last edited:
Thank you OkiePC, appreciate the post, and advice. I find this subject infinitely fascinating, I can't help it.

Thank you OkiePC, appreciate the post, and advice. I find this subject infinitely fascinating, I can't help it.

It is not all that often people can make a living doing what they enjoy. Some do not make a living at it and have to pay for doing it. They are hobbyists golfers etc etc.

I see no reason for apologizing for what you enjoy.

Dan Bentler

It is not all that often people can make a living doing what they enjoy. Some do not make a living at it and have to pay for doing it. They are hobbyists golfers etc etc.

I see no reason for apologizing for what you enjoy.

Dan Bentler

Yeah I was more talking about the enthusiasm. I will love being in this industry though, I definitely have a passion for it. Thanks for the post.

... I find it just freakin' fascinating. don't make fun of me for that please, I just am.....

I have been doing controls for almost thirty years, and designing equipment and systems in various industries for forty years. I still get a kick out of it! I love what I call my "master of the universe" feeling - that visceral thrill you get when it works, and the motors are spinning and the valves are controlling and the flow is flowing, and especially when the customer says "Wow - I didn't think you could do that!".

No one can gaurantee a job in any field when you leave school. However, your odds of landing a job in automation are almost as good as they get. Let's face it - how many adds are there in the newspaper or Monster.com for art history majors?

I agree Tom, I see I means tons and tons of maintenance techs or maintenance mechanic jobs its scary. They all say PLC troubleshooting skills needed too. I think i picked the right industry, I think i picked the right subject to be intrigued by. Thanks for the help.