FactoryTalk security codes.

ydtech

I have an application with 60 parameters, split in 2 displays and would like to have them viewable by the operator but changeable only by an authorised person. However, FT security codes seem to work only at the display level.

As such, unless I can set security on the inputs, I'd need to duplicate the displays, one set being view only, and the other set with security code and numerical inputs.

Another way would be to superpose the displays with normally invisible inputs and make them visible with the UserHasCode() property.

Either way would be a rather large duplication of effort. Am I missing something?

It's FT 5.10.

Method 1.
Create indicator-only objects.
Then create input objects on top of the indicators.
Control their visibility under object Properties/Animation/Visibility.
Input objects will not work when invisible.

Method 2.
Apply value writing decision in the Value connection expression.
The "?" character is the placeholder for the value the operator enters.
E.g. IF access_level_ok THEN ?
This method does not forbid entering value on the display, but it will not be written into the target tag unless the expression allows.

Method 3.
Use alternative screens depending on access level.

Last edited:
Thanks. Methods 1 and 3 are the ones I'm trying to avoid, I'll try method 2 tomorrow at the office. Looks promising.

Method 2 works. Full syntax is:
if CurrentUserHasCode(P) then ? else MyValue

P being the user's access level, MyValue whatever variable the input refers to. The else clause seems redundant but gives an error without it. The update fails silently so I'll have to make a notice to the operator about needing to be logged in.

Else they'll be pestering me at all hours about the bloody thing not working. Read the manual, what manual? What's reading?